22. And He Found Her

It's been a while since the last chapter, right? But don't worry loves I feel like it will be worth it. I'm already working on the next chapter and it's.... nevermind. Let's just read this one for now 😌

It didn't bother her. She was once again sitting at the stairs alone. The soft air was cold on her damp cheeks and he found her when she least expected it. Again. She could feel like she was betraying herself for letting her guards around him. All her efforts of staying strong and confident and not wanting to show anyone her weak self only led to him getting the best out of her in the end. Now that she was alone with him, she had no choice but to watch him pity her again. But still, it didn't bother her.

The look in his eyes was not pity. No, it was something else. It was something so similar yet different. Something she had seen from her family or friends. It was the same look Harry would give when Draco said something bad about her.

Hermione swallowed thickly and held her breath for several seconds before she looked back over at his face.

When he saw her exactly like this two years ago, she was embarrassed and mad. She didn't have the strength to ask anyone for help. She spoke with Ginny later but... right at that moment he was there and she opened up to the only person around. He kept a fair amount of distance between him and her; unlike now, where he sat right next to her without even asking. She didn't want him to ask her anything. She just wanted him to stay exactly like this. For some weird reason, his presence did bring her the comfort she needed at the moment.

"Not much has changed, I see." He picked up a small stone from the ground and fiddled with it. "Except for the hair and the dress," he added.

Hermione chuckled a little, remembering the ball. "I wish I was wearing that right now," she murmured with a voice still wet from crying.

He glanced at her. Her eyes were red, but she didn't look as bad as she did back then. Or maybe she had been crying long before he came here. "Is it him again?"

Hermione's thoughts stopped and she felt her heart pound in her chest. Again? He remembered.

It was him; somehow, it was always him. Ever since their first encounter, he always managed to say the worst things to her and no one except her considered them to be significant. Ginny knew her brother's loose mouth as well, but it didn't really help when her best friend kept silent when Ron joked.

"H-how do you know?" She asked. It was a stupid question, but she needed time so yeah, she asked.

"The birds gave it away a bit," he glanced at the remainings of the little birds and grimaced in disgust.

Hermione looked at the pile of feathers and merely shrugged. "I was practising,"

He'd be lying if he said he wasn't intimidated a bit by her indifference.

Practising transfiguration after winning a quidditch match was total nonsense and he knew it. "What did he say?" He asked bluntly, causing her head to snap up. "If you don't mind me asking, of course,"

He really shouldn't have done that. She was already hardly composing herself and it felt weird how nice he was being. She needed a little question, a little sign of interest and was ready to spill it all. She wished Harry would come after her but right now all she had was her childhood bully. Only he was there asking about her feelings and he even had the guts to say if you don't mind me asking, too. She recalled the last time he tried to ask what was wrong and remembered how angry and annoyed she was at him. A lot had changed since the ball and it felt different now. Yes, it was insane. None of her friends would approve, but there was a trust between them she didn't even know when it originated.