First Day High

Joven was an only child and his mom died on the day he was born. He was a spoiled brat to his dad and even his cousins. He always gets what he wants especially when it comes to toys, clothing and gadgets. He has everything in his house.

Johanna was a timid girl who always gives in to anything in order to avoid misunderstanding. She was well trained by her dad. He always taught her to be patient, understanding and don't fight against anyone.

Johanna moved to Joven's place on her 11th grade. On the first day of school she was nervous as she's gonna attend her new school for the first time. She didn't know anyone except Jayden, her cousin who was in 12th grade.

-----

Upon entering her classroom, Johanna was approached by a healthy boy who was towering tall and had a good body built. He was looking arrogant and has high spirit.

"Hi Johanna, I'm Joven. You can sit beside me if you're not sure where to sit. Come."

Joven pulled an empty chair beside where he was sitting.

That was quick. Johanna was a bit surprised and didn't know how to respond. So she just nod and sat next to him. "Thank you." was all she could say while slightly looking around the classroom for anyone who's familiar but couldn't find one.

"Everyone! This is Johanna, our new classmate. Treat her well okay?"

All her classmates' attention was on her for a few minutes. Some said hi hello while others just whispered to one another as if they're talking about her on their own.

Their first teacher came for their Science class. Then the next was Maths class. The whole morning was occupied with only two subjects which were core subjects.

"Join me for lunch. I have no company." Joven told her after their Maths class.

Johanna has no choice but to agree with him as she really needed him on the first day. She didn't know where the library was, the toilet, and even the cafeteria. So both of them shared a table for lunch. Their classmates were glaring at them as if it was a big issue to share tables with Joven for lunch. What could be the story behind? Johanna didn't mind them. Her ultimate goal was to survive on the first day of school without any difficulty.

"Did you like the food?" Joven asked her while they were on their way back to their classroom.

"Yeah they're good. I like them especially the spicy chicken."

"Oh, that's also my favorite. I'm glad you enjoyed the food. You can go ahead. I just need to speak to one of my basketball teammates. We have upcoming game nextweek."

"Yeah sure. Thanks for the company."

Johanna headed straight to their classroom while Joven went to see Rocky, his team member. "Buddy, let's practice today afterschool in the plaza at 5pm sharp. Don't be late." He told Rocky. And before Rocky could respond, Joven was already gone from his sight. Joven quickly went back to his classroom to check if Johanna was alright.

Johanna was just quiet for the rest of the day as she was observing how things move in her classroom. Some of her classmates didn't care about her as if she wasn't there. But there were few who dropped by her seat to say hi. Most of them were guys. There's a group of girls who were really friendly and told her she could join their circle if she wants.

"How's your first day?" Joven suddenly appeared as she was walking towards the school gate.

"Oh, good. I made it. Thanks for being there for me on my first day."

"So which school were you from? And why did you move here?"

"Well, my parents got a new business here that's why we have to move back in. We actually lived here when I was 5 but moved out to Seoul for some reasons. Now we're back to settle to Gangnam again."

"Really. If you studied here in Kindergarten we should have met yeah?"

"Probably."

"So how do you go back home?"

"I'll just walk. My house is just two blocks away."

"Okay, see you tomorrow then."

"Thanks."

Both of them were shocked as they moved to the same direction.

"You're going this way?" Joven asked.

"Yeah. My house is there on the second block."

"Seriously, my house is there too."

"Really? We might be neighbors then."

After walking past the first block. Joven asked.

"So where is your house?"

"That blue gate." Johanna said pointing on the house with blue gate.

"Oh my. That means were living beside each other? My house is the one with brown gate."

"Whoah. How come I didn't see you around since we moved in?"

"I didn't even know that house is already occupied. It's been empty for quite a few months."

As they reached infront of Joven's house:

"Tomorrow can we go to school together? What time do you leave home?"

"Sure, at about 7am."

"Okay, I'll wait for you here."

"Okay, see you then."

Johanna went ahead while Joven got in his house gate. His dad was on the lawn.

"Who's that girl? I've not seen her before."

"She's Johanna my new classmate. She lives next door."

"In that used to be empty house?"

"Yeah."

"Good. It's finally occupied. Have you met her parents yet? I wonder what kind of neighbors they are."

Joven went inside the house and changed his school uniforms. He then went out to play basketball in the plaza.

"Hey buddy, I saw you with the new girl earlier. She's your classmate right? I'm interested in her. Could you invite her here sometime?" Ryan approached Joven.

"Yeah. Her name's Johanna. Not sure if she'll come here if I invite her."

Johanna can't believe she's neighbors with Joven. Her first friend in school. He looks like an arrogant guy but he's really totally fine. He speaks good. And looks like he's a good guy. Johanna was glad she already have a friend in school. She'll not feel leftout at least.

She arranged her school stuff and headed to the kitchen to make dinner.