So Close Yet So Far

The next day Johanna was finally out of the hospital.

"Thank you. You can leave now. I'll take care of myself."

"What if I want to stay here and take care of you? Huh?"

She couldn't say anything. She didn't want to rant again and get hurt again.

"Johanna, look, I'm not going until I make sure you are totally fine. I owe you a lot so please let me do this. Allow me to stay and take care of you."

"I don't need anything from you."

"Johanna. Please. I know I've wronged you in the past. I'm sorry. Those were so childish of me. I regret about everything. I'm really sorry."

She just sighed. She wanted to ask why but she couldn't. She didn't want to know.

"I know you wanted to know why I did that. It was because I liked you a lot. From day 1, that first day of school, the day we became friends. That first day we met. I already liked you. I was in the tournament for a week. I wanted to win and bring home victory. I did that because of you. You inspired me to work harder. But the day of the championship, I was devastated to see you and Mark alone. I was so hurt because I was so excited to come home to you. That day I thought I lost you to Mark."

He explained himself as they were sitting on the sofa.

"My bad because I followed my impulse. I jumped into conclusion without trying to find out about the truth. I wanted to hurt you and destroy you for hurting my feelings."

"Then I found out I was all wrong. I felt so ashamed of myself. I thought I couldn't face you at all but I swallowed my pride and came to you to apologize."

"I don't wanna loose you Johanna. You're so precious to me."

She just sat there listening to him.

"Am I too late Johanna? Please tell me. Are you and Mark together now for real? I'll not blame you. I'll not come your way. If you're happy with him then I'll let you."

She was confused now. She started liking Mark but Joven was back to her with his confessions. She fell inlove with him but he destroyed it before she could tell him.

"Did you know that you're hurting me emotionally and physically? You hurt me because I liked you already. I missed you so much when you were in the tournament. I felt so lonely in school without you... Everyone was asking about us. They thought we're together. It was a beautiful thought but I got something else in return."

"I never said anything bad despite of how hard it was to be treated like that by someone I adored, by someone I liked."

Joven couldn't stop but hug her. Tight.

"Can we start over again? Huh? Like the way we used to be when we first meet."

She didn't say anything. She's still confused. Mark's image kept coming into her thoughts.

"Is it a no? Why? Because of Mark? Tell me. Am I losing you to him Johanna?"

"Just tell me to stop. Don't give me hope. Then I'll stop right here. Right now."

"Then stop. Joven stop. Let's stop right here, right now."

He was devastated again by what he just heard.

"Is this really what you wanted?" He asked her. He could feel that she still likes him but he knew she's confused.

She just looked down without saying anything.

He drew nearer her and hugged her, maybe for the last time, he thought.

"Promise me you'll come back to me when you clear you mind. I'll stay and wait for you. Take care of yourself okay? Don't get sick again."

He kissed her forehead before letting her go. That was the first time he did that, and maybe the last time.

"I'll get going." He left without looking back. He was very sad. But he wondered why Mark never show up in the hospital or even at home. Didn't he know about what happened to her? Didn't she tell him? If it's them, then he should be there. If not, then who will take care of her? Ahhhh, Joven's mind was full of such thoughts. But she didn't say anything else after saying we should stop there, now. What should I do. I can't let her go like that. His thoughts.

Johanna went to the grocery shop later that day and saw Mark together with a girl she didn't recognize. She wondered who that girl was.

"Isn't she Mark's girlfriend? The one who moved to Marianas?

"Oh, that's her? Is she back?"

Johanna overheard two schoolmates talking about Mark and the girl. So he has a girlfriend? She thought while making her way out to the taxi stand when just in time for Mark's car to pass by infront of her. She saw Mark looked at her but the girl has no idea about her. She was kind of hurt but she knew she has no right to get hurt. Why was he so kind to me? He even invited me for a home dinner because he wanted me to meet his parents. What does that mean? Why did he do that? Johanna was confused.

She realized she's been standing there for a long time when her phone rang.

"Yeah, Mom."

"Johanna, are you still mad at me? Can I see you already?"

She just sighed.

"Look, Johanna. Dad and I were not happy with each other anymore that's why it happened. Can I visit you?"

"Yeah." She sounded so weak and sad.

When she came home, her mom was there. She just suddenly run to her and hugged her just in time she burst in tears.

"Mom!" She cried. Just cried. Her mom had no idea how hard her life was.

"Congratulations. You looked gorgeous in your gown."

"How did you know? Did you send a spy?"

Her mom showed her photos as evidence that she knew what's happening in school.

"Mark took this. Is he your spy?"

"I'm sorry Johanna. I just want to make sure you are safe."

"Mom."

So that's the only reason why Mark made friends with her. No other reason. None. Now she know.

"Mom, can you send me to another school?"

"Why, are you not happy here?"

"Just move me please." She pleaded.

"Why, tell me."

"I'm so lonely here Mom." She started crying. Her mom had no idea what she went through.

"You did well in school. And I heard you had many friends. Are you brokenhearted? Huh?"

She just cried even more.

"I missed Dad."

Her mom teared down when she said it. She knew how close she was with her dad. But things weren't the same anymore.

She hugged Johanna.

"I'm sorry baby. I know I was being selfish. Please forgive me. But even so, dad said he will get in touch with you. Just wait for him okay?"

"Are you happy now that you divorced him?"

"I'm free from heartaches and stress. Yes."

Johanna just looked down. She knew all along that her mom would really divorce her dad. He has an attitude and he's very rude to her mom when it comes to financial matters. He's also still in contact with his other woman. But he loves Johanna so much. She's a papa's girl and that's what she misses the most - the time they spent together. She has a sister from that other woman. They knew each other but haven't meet personally yet.

Joven can't take her off his mind. He was so worried about her but since she told him to stop, what can he do? He would have pursued even when she said stop. He would have forced her to let him protect her. He could have stay with her and take care of her. But now what, what could he do?