9- Opening up

Stella's P.O.V.

"Are you stalking me?"

He started laughing. "No! I've already eaten and had my food before you even walked in here. I saw your date come in, then he left pissed and now you're clearly upset."

"He was not my date." I corrected him.

"Okay. Well, are you alright?"

I nodded.

"Good. Have a good night."

He turned and was about to walk away when I stopped him. "I'm sorry." I said, folding my arms across my stomach. I'm such a horrible person, he's only ever been nice to me.

He turned back towards me, confused. "What for?"

"I'm not normally like this." I whispered as a few people looked our way.

He took a few steps forward, ready to say something but stopped when the waiter came over with the food and set it down. "Ma'am?"

"Yeah, I'm going to need some to-go containers. That other man isn't coming back." I paused for a brief moment. "Unless… are you still hungry?" I motioned for Cole to sit.

Cole smirked. "I could eat some more." He sat down where Roman once sat.

"Can I get you another drink, Sir."

"Yes, I'll have what she's having."

The waiter nodded at him and walked away.

We sat there in an uncomfortable silence for a few moments, "My name's Stella Collins by the way. The night we met, I wasn't in a very good place and I was kind of rude to you. I'm sorry."

"Everybody has those kinds of days, don't sweat it. It probably didn't help that you weren't being left alone. So I'm sorry too."

"You did nothing wrong. My girls thought it would be a good idea to get me out of my house, even though I didn't want to. My daughter is very sick." I paused, took a deep breath and wiped the tears from my eyes and then continued. "She needs a kidney transplant, I've had so many people come forward to help but unfortunately no one is a match to her. The man that just left was my last hope."

"Who was that guy?"

"Sperm donor." I took a big gulp of my wine and set my empty glass down.

I could tell Cole was thinking but stayed quiet.

The waiter came over and poured Cole a glass of wine, then turned towards me. "Ma'am would you like another?"

"Yes, please."

He poured my glass and then left Cole and I alone again.

"You really don't have to sit here with me. I'm a mess but I'll be alright."

"I have nowhere I'd rather be but if you want me to leave, I will."

I sat there for a moment. "I'd like it if you stayed."

He gave me a warm smile, "I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, no one should have to go through that."

"No, especially her. She's the sweetest little girl, she doesn't deserve any of this."

"You can stop me if I'm out of line and you definitely don't have to answer but I'm trying to understand. Her dad that left doesn't want to help her?"

"He didn't even want me to have her when I got pregnant, so I broke up with him and we haven't had anything to do with each other really, until tonight. I've been raising Claire on my own. I only went to him because I didn't have any other choice. I knew what his answer was going to be so I don't know why I'm still shocked. I guess I just hoped, you know?"