013.

013. time turners and time wasters

THE CRISIS, from what it looked like, appeared to be averted. professor snape was hovered behind a succession of crookshanks in the front with lupin, pettigrew and ron behind. the rear end of the group including honey behind ron and then hermione behind followed by harry and sirius at the very back. for now, it seemed like nothing was the mater- which shouldn't have set a bad feeling into honey, but her mind worked in mysterious ways (as did this ruddy inner eye).

it was awkward, that much could be said. not walking, but walking beside/in front of hermione. they had yet to talk at all, and frankly there were a bit preoccupied to really sit down and try to 'talk it out' or 'shout it out'.

"at least we're not dead," was hermione's conversation starter.

honey rated it a 10/10 gold stars because it was straight to the point and sounded like something honey would say too.

"such a messy day," muttered honey, "first buckbeak-" she winced, "-then this? i'm just glad sirius black isn't a mass murderer."

they were a few strides ahead of sirius and harry, who seemed to be having their own little conversation in the back. as careless and thoughtless as honey could be- she knew not to interrupt them, regardless of what they might be saying or how interesting it might be (or perhaps, how boring it might be). all honey could tell from the conversation was that it wasn't overly depressing. which was, considering the circumstance, a major positive.

"to think," hermione said to her, "sirius could be free."

"the press will eat this up," honey said, "they're going to criticise the ministry so badly. it might look like sunshine and daisies right now but it's going to be difficult for him."

hermione looked like she wanted to chastise honey, perhaps correct her or do something ever so hermione-ish that she looked frightened that honey might yell at her again like before. instead, she said nothing.

in fact, they didn't speak for the rest of the journey as they reached the end of the tunnel.

crookshanks darted up first; he had evidently pressed his paw to the knot on the trunk, because lupin, pettigrew, and ron clambered upward without any sound of savaging branches. sirius walked a bit faster and saw snape up through the hole, then stood back for the remaining three to pass.

at last, all of them were out.

the ground were very dark now and the only light came from the distant windows of the castle making hogwarts look like a lone lighthouse in the ocean of the dark night sky. single stars were blocked by clouds and mist- blanketing the sky from their eyes.

without a word to anybody, they set off once more.

pettirgrew was still wheezing and occasionally whimpering at times, but the group didn't seem to care. as cruel as it might have been, the once presumed man didn't really chalk up to being a good person or tragic sacrifice in the war as people had once assumed. all sympathy had washed away and was left with varying feelings from distrust to pure hatred (and it didn't take a genius to figure out where sirius black and professor lupin fell on that scale).

"one wrong move, peter," said lupin threateningly ahead. his wand was still pointed sideways at pettigrew's chest. "and... well- the dementors won't get to great you, will they?"

"always taking my cynical approach and stealing my lines," muttered sirius from behind honey. she didn't look back at him- but caught a ghost of a smile on her professors face in front.