004.

004. the dark mark

THE CELEBRATION plagued the air with euphoria, and emerald green was adorned everywhere. aunt claire and uncle antonne had retired into the tent- with what she could only presume was a heavy silencing charm to the outside placed on the tent. they'd been allowed, under maeve's paragon of leadership or caretaking as an of-age witch, to run wild with the irish celebration.

the fiddler from earlier returned, and freya bounced to her, swinging arm from arm with passers by. she reached her with a grin, now wearing a flaring deep green skirt with thousands of pleats and a tight black vest- eccentric makeup on her face sort of similar to the type she'd adorned moments prior.

"we're putting on a little show," freya said, pushing some of her hair back, "dunno how good i'll be. haven't done river dancing in a year or so. come watch?"

she looked to lee, who shrugged as if it was her choice. she turned back to freya and nodded, "i'll come with you, then. god- i wish i had a camera."

"c'mon, we're about to start you great lump!"

freya sprinted forwards, pushing through groups of cheering irish and irish supporters alike to a congregating circle of people all clapping and cheering, the sound of the flute, drums, fiddle and a guitar-sounding instrument getting closer and closer as the bustle of chatter grew louder, the claps in time with the music.

freya pushed through, and honey grinned as she saw freya along with four other girls stood together, clad in green skirts as well. singing from the others blurred as the girls stamped their feet before they took to riverdancing, lazy smiles on their faces as they all looked to each other, stepping side to side before they did a leep forward, splitting away and each dancing apart to form their own circle.

the fiddlers on the side continued their tune, the flute accompanying them. it was so improvised yet perfectly placed for a celebration. yells of delight bounced around as floating large shamrocks coloured the sky with new constellations- twisting leaves floating around like confetti frozen in the sky. green coloured fireworks fizzled and popped in the sky casting shooting stars of green, white and orange (the irish flag's colours) into the sky with such fantastical grandeur.

the improvised ensemble played their final note as the girls stopped dancing, chests moving up and down and panting- but a smile never left their faces. honey roared loudly, clapping fast as she sent them to freya who was grinning.

then, the ensemble started up again, and the drummer plaid the starting beat, a bit faster than the previous one. the fiddlers followed, the flute added on eventually. a few in the crowd seemed to know what was happening and set themselves out in two lines. freya grabbed her, pulling her into one of them.

this didn't necessarily seem like irish dancing- but it was fun and easy to pick up. the lines bet each other, and honey stared across at cedric diggory who seemed to look a bit awkward- probably forced to dance. a girl was next to him, hollering as she bopped her head.

the lines met, arms hooked as they turned and turned before they stomped there legs in quick session- it was a hybrid of several styles all pulled together. the yells and hollers turned to singing, it turned out there was lyrics to this- but honey couldn't quite tell what they were. they seemed to be in a different language, perhaps gaelic.

again, they hooked their arms and turned and honey let out a laugh because as tiresome as it was, it was enjoyable- the euphoria fizzling inside of her as she let go of the older hufflepuff boys arms, trading it for another pair of arms