008.

008. hogwarts champion(s)

THE WALK back seemed to be full of chatter and gossip about a certain-

"victor krum!" she heard ron say as hermione suddenly looped arms with her, causing honey to stumble and nearly trample a first year. "krum, victor krum-! oh, hello honey."

"don't mind me," she drawled, "continue to fanboy about him."

"i'm not- he's a fantastic quidditch player! a star! the youngest-"

"god, calm yourself." mumbled honey, "he's just a student-"

"just a student?" chorused ron and a couple of fifth year girls who were passing by.

"ron has found his people, it seems." muttered hermione, shaking her head. she looked at honey- an almost look of disgust on her face as her nose scrunched up just a bit, "it's revolting how much these people obsess over him. he's just a quidditch player. it's not a big deal as i see it. for all we know he might be fantastic-" she mocked ron's wording with a nasally but low sort of voice that didn't really sound like ron much- "quidditch player! a star! but he might be dumb as rocks. which- as far as i'm concerned, means he's of no interest to me."

"what if he is smart?" asked harry.

"then i will have an intellectual conversation with him," hermione replied prudently. then, as an after thought she added, "if those gaggle of groupies would get away from him."

"don't call them groupies- ron's among them," honey said, trying to play fair (not because she was being nice. she just knew it would rile up hermione).

"i stand by what i said."

honey snorted, and then shook her head.

after harry proceeded to grip ron by the collar to pull him away from the suffocating crowd of students all trying to get a glimpse at krum (he was, if anyone is interested, about to get trampled by a herd of sixth year girls on a war path and looked like might drown in the robes of three giddy fifth year boys), they said their goodbyes and walked to their respective house tables.

the fifty or so students from each school had scattered themselves everywhere across the room. most of the durmstrang students seemed to have taken a liking to the slytherin green and a few must have found a semblance of home in the roaring red of gryffindor's table. the durmstrang students seemed to actively avoid the hufflepuff and ravenclaw tables. a huge gaggle of beauxbaton students sat primly at the ravenclaw table, a group or two  at the slytherin and gryffindor tables and maybe a small group at best at the gryffindor table.

the rest of the magical students from france were at the hufflepuff table.

hannah and the rest of the girls had caught up with her, and she waved at them before honey said, "you lot want to sit with my cousins?"

"the french ones?" freya asked, "from the world cup?"

"the exact ones," nodded honey. she pointed over to where they usually sat, making a small circle motion at her cousin's heads, "those two: fitzgerald- we usually call him fitz." she gestured to fitz, who was making himself quite at home next to lee- and seemed to be annoying him (with the weasley twins, as much as she could tell, egging him on).

she then pointed over to her other cousins. "and maeve. we just call her maeve, really."

"who are the people next to them?" asked vi, squinting.