Chapter 6

Note: Well...thanks to you people this story has gone so high on the What’s Hot list. If it wasn’t for you all, my story wouldn’t even be in the list. So, big THANKS to you guys…pat yourself on the back :) Oh haha a lot of you have said that Tee’s step-mum is just too mean…I want to show her this way actually but don’t worry there’s a BIG SURPRISE in this chapter…Yes, since this story is a modern Cinderella story it’s time for Tee’s Fairy godmother A.K.A “Chas” to make an appearance. I’ve a lot in mind for Chas’ character in my mind and she’s nothing like your stereotypical godmother…read on to find out <3

                                                                               Chapter 6

I hate weekends. I really do. For other teenagers usually weekends mean a lot of fun, parties, dates and shopping but for me, weekends meant staying caged in my house under Marylyn’s watchful eyes.

“Harder! What are your hands made of, butter?” Marylyn growled at me, sipping on her smoothie through a vivid pink straw. The evil incarnate was sitting on the dining table chair glaring at me as I rubbed the floor with a wet rag.

“Everything should be sparkly clean for the dinner tonight. So, for a change try to work hard please.” Marylyn kept the smoothie on the dining table and dug her bony fingers in the orange bowl holding potato chips. “This place,” she said, munching on the chips, “should look like a palace.”

“Yes Marylyn,” I said robotically, scrubbing the floor harder.

“I don't believe it.” She got up from the chair holding her smoothie in her hand, “I haven’t even decided what to wear for tonight.” She shook her head in disbelief, “I have so much work to do…I still have to pick out which shoes to wear.”

Marylyn looked down at me, “You…please wear something presentable and don’t make us look bad. I work hard for our family to look good, so don’t spoil anything. Is that clear?”

“Yes, it is,” I said wiping the sweat off my forehead as she walked out of the dining hall in her high heels which made clicking sounds as she walked.

I threw the rag into a bucket full of water. Why did ‘Mr. Lane’ have to come tonight? It sucked already having Marylyn as my stepmother and Harriet as my stepsister…now I had to cook an entire gourmet meal and clean the house like a slave.

“Mom?” Harriet scuttled into the dining hall looking for her mother.

“Where is she?” She asked frowning at me.

“I guess she went over to her room to choose a dress to wear for the dinner,” I said, looking up.

“And what are you doing?” She smirked and walked towards the freshly scrubbed floor wearing muddy shoes. “Oops,” she said, looking at her muddy footprints, “You’ll just have to wash the floor again.”

I controlled my anger by biting hard on my lips as she walked out of the room after passing me a small smirk. I tasted iron blood in my mouth. It was a really mean thing to do, but typical of Harriet.

***

I flinched back from the hot pan. That was a stupid of me, to touch a smouldering pan. As it was, I had very little time to prepare the perfect meal that Marylyn wanted. The food had to be worthy of passing through Gordon Ramsay’s nose. Marylyn was a harsher critic that Ramsay though.

I wiped off the tears from my face that were there due to the onions I was cutting and added some chili to the food cooking in the saucepan.

“Tiana!” Marylyn looked at me amazed, “You’re still not done with the food?”