Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It could have been anyone on the door. The Lanes’ son could have any other boy I had never met in my whole life before but just my luck; the boy standing on the door was Blaze. Blaze…Blaze Lane, why God? I gaped at the sexy face in front of me. He was grinning ear to ear with a surprised expression while I stared at him unbelievingly. I had even shut my eyes closely and then opened them again expecting him to disappear. He didn’t; sadly this wasn’t a figment of my wild imagination.

He knew where I lived and he didn’t even care to warn me that he was going to come over to my house for dinner. He must have expected me to fling myself in his arms.

“You?” I managed to sputter. I wasn’t really excited about the fact he was soon going to find out about my dysfunctional home.

Rule #11: Never tell the guy about your personal matters. He will end up using your weaknesses against you.

“Tiana,” he smirked. His voice was like warm chocolate melting over me.

I tried to resist his charm. “What are you doing here?”

“Tiana!” Marylyn got up from the chair and stomped up to us, “Don’t you know how to behave with guests?” She fixed her eyes at me and pushed me aside from the door and held Blaze’s arm. “What a handsome boy….eh? I hope this girl didn’t trouble you much.”

She pulled him inside the door as I sighed and shut the door behind me, bracing myself.

“Definitely not,” he smiled courteously at the evil lady, “I actually know her…she is from my school.”

‘My school?’ This guy had some serious narcissist issues.

“Then you must know Harriet too?” Marylyn dragged him to the dining table and pointed at Harriet serving fresh fruits to the guests. Harriet kept down the fruit plate on the table immediately and blushed waving at Blaze awkwardly.

“Umm…I haven’t met her yet,” he said sitting down on the chair next to Marylyn.

“Oh! You should talk to her now…you will like her; she is very different from Tiana. As you might have noticed, Tiana is a bit rude, but my Harriet….” Marylyn blabbered on as I uncomfortably stood in front of the dining table wishing earth would open up and swallow me whole.

“No way!” Chas exclaimed, “Tiana is pretty cool.” She smiled at me.

It was strange that a girl who barely knew me vouched for the fact that I was nice while my own ‘family’ was always ready to bring me down.

“Tiana,” Marylyn said in a cold voice, “Go fetch some soda for Blaze, he must be thirsty.”

“Sure,” I nodded and walked towards the kitchen.

I was sure Blaze was laughing behind my back. I also knew he was going to use this information on my family some time or another because guys are like that. He could always pretend to feel sorry for me, and that would guarantee me running into his arms. Not. There was no way I was going to let him have the upper hand. I had to think of something fast.

“So Blaze,” I smiled innocently while offering him soda, “Where is your little sister?”

“Little? What?” Chas spat out her soda.

“Chastity!” Mrs. Lane scolded her daughter and turned her eyes to her son, “What sister Blaze?”

“Uh,” Blaze squirmed in his chair to my delight. I had him where I wanted now.