11: Shattered Chain

(C/F) Cookie stares down at their reflection in the lake.
They weren't certain how long they'd been sitting there, but they definitely felt better than they did earlier. The whirring of the Wafflebots they had conscripted to their armada of protection no longer felt loud or overpowering the sounds of the dead forest.

Everything felt so much less meaningful now...
Before they wouldn't have gone this far with their running, but now, they had no desire to look back. Sure, that would mean never seeing Black Raisin Cookie and the villagers again, but they didn't know the villagers... that wouldn't be a huge loss to their social life.

If only they could remember how to get to the Hollyberry Kingdom from here...

"Dear..."

Oh no...
Oh crumbs!
Why did his feet have to be so quiet?!

"Wait!" He says hurriedly, seeing them move to leave, "I just want to talk!"

"About what? What is there to talk about?!" They turn to look at Pure Vanilla Cookie. "You imprisoned me in a powerful seal and left me there! You threatened, I don't even want to know how many, Cookies over me! You've lied to me about so many things! Before we were even together you were planning on kidnapping me! Is there anything else I should know about?!"

"..."

"Yeah... see? There isn't much to talk about." They scoff.

"(C/F) Cookie..." He starts.

"I already said, there is nothing to talk about! Leave me alone!"

"NO!" He yells.

This caught both of them off guard because he shoves his hands over his mouth and they nearly fall in the water.

"I... I'm sorry." He continues like that hadn't just happened, "You have every right to be angry with me... I just... I-I don't know what to do with all my feelings."

"Maybe try not threatening others and being honest with me?" They roll their eyes.

"I did." He nods, "After White Lily Cookie destroyed the Academy, I had all the horrible things I wanted to do put into perspective... I perfected my magic to heal others to stop violent spells from being my go to. I instead have to be intentionally thinking to cast them. I... I tried to be more open with you, but I was afraid that I'd hurt you in some way if I was."

"And just look how that turned out." They grumble.

"E-eventually I just didn't know what to do with myself. Rather than continually thinking of hurting others, I had those... outbursts. I know those scared you, so I tried to distract myself to prevent any situation where they would happen." He continues. "But that made you feel unappreciated. There was just no way for me to balance my job as king and my time with you..."

"...And?"

"(C/F) Cookie, I gave up the throne. I'd rather spend time with you than stress all the time over small, unimportant things." Pure Vanilla Cookie informs them.

"... Look." They sigh, "I appreciate that you're trying to fix this, but I do need a bit more time by myself."

"That's alright dear. Why don't we go home and-."

"Pure Vanilla Cookie!" They angrily cut in, "I'm not going back right now!"

Silence.
Not a good silence either. A silence that told them he was gauging how angry to be about that.

"I know you're trying... but I still need to think about a few things." They continue, hoping that their explanation would lessen his rage. "Things I want to think about out here."

"Dear I-"

"You're not going to be able to sweet talk me into changing my mind." They frown.

He goes quiet again.
Not good...

"I..." He takes a deep breath, "I don't know what I'll do without you. I... do understand your decision, but at the same time I don't want to be without you..."

"So what? You'll force me to go back with you?" They snap back.

"...I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring your decision."

Oh.
Oh no!
With an answer like that it's obvious that he's going to drag them back, willing or not.

"Pure Vanilla Cookie..." They stand up, "Don't."

"I... I am sorry I..." He seems upset about his decision.

They see his staff's eye widen, almost as if part of himself was telling them to get out of there, and take it as their cue to leave.

"Get him!" They command the bots, then turn and start running carefully around the lake.

"NO!!"

A familiar spell catches them around the leg and pulls them back before they feel it released.

They black out as they hit the water.

The Wafflebots had been shattered to pieces by Pure Vanilla Cookie's rage, and he hurried to the side of the lake quickly get them out before they got too soggy.

"No no no!" He mutters.

"Pure Vanilla Cookie!" Black Raisin Cookie hurries up from behind him. "Is everything alright? We heard shouting."

"Yes." He scares himself with how calm he sounds, "I just got startled by the Wafflebots still left in the forest. I'll be heading back to the Kingdom in just a moment."

She hadn't seen what happened... even with her sharpened eye and crows.

Good.

"Alright."
He hears her crow take flight and then hurries to lift (C/F) Cookie out of the water.

This was going to work out in his favor, wasn't it?

[from here on out the story feels rather slow... I've been debating on what exactly to do from here; I think I know what direction to head now, so here's this. (Yes, that means the ending is {somewhat} planned out.)]