12: Eternal Prison

(C/F) Cookie snaps awake in a dark room. They had never been to the castle dungeon, but this was definitely it.

"Oh thank goodness, you're alright!"

"What is wrong with you?" They yell at Pure Vanilla Cookie.

"..." He doesn't answer that, but his expression suddenly looks a lot more stern, "Careful dear, I'm not too happy with you right now."

"No. No! You don't just get to pretend that you're in the right of this situation! You nearly broke me into too many pieces!"

"Oh (C/F) Cookie." He laughs, "Don't you remember when you fell in the river in Hollyberry Cookie's Kingdom? I proved I could help you when you were soggy then, why would now have been much different?"

"I wasn't unconscious then!"

"I remember you saying you wish you were."

"THAT'S NOT THE POINT!" They snap back, also remembering saying that.

"You're right. It's not." He grins, "I've given up the throne. We have all the time in Earthbread to catch up now!"

"There isn't much to say that I haven't already said!" They grumble, "Especially how locking me in this cage is wrong."

"Oh no dear, the locks were all broken when the cake monsters fled the Kingdom! You're just not strong enough to lift the door open." He chuckles.

"Well, now I feel insulted." They say sadly. That particular comment brought into perspective just how helpless they actually are. Freedom within reach, but they wouldn't be able to get it if they tried.

"You're also still not at full strength from getting soggy." He adds, much less happily. "I wouldn't recommend standing up until a while later, so your legs don't break off."

"You didn't completely dry me?" They gasp.

"No." He confesses, "If I did you wouldn't have taken time to listen."

"Hmm... maybe that's because you've imprisoned me for no reason." They suggest sarcastically. "I am upset about that, yeah."

"..." He opens his eyes to give them a more sincere look, "I love you. I just... don't want to lose you..."

"I think I can list about five things you've done in the past... however long since I saw you again, that have made me upset."  They now realize that they have no idea how long they've been unconscious.

"When I first woke up after the seal was broken, the first thing I felt was your presence. I didn't remember what that meant, but it brought me a sense of comfort to know you were ok." He smiles sadly, "Then, when I remembered why that was there in the first place, I was confused how your seal had opened. I never suspected that a child would've been able to open something so powerful."

"... He's Premier Custard Cream Cookie's descendant, right?"

"Wouldn't surprise me..." Pure Vanilla Cookie frowns, "I placed him in charge when..."

"When we left before the war." They finish for him, "Yeah, I remember that."

"That was right before the war dear." He shakes his head, "When I returned, Dark Enchantress Cookie had already attacked."

That timing is either fantastic, or terrible. He wasn't living for months to years without them before he sealed himself away as well... but that also means that he wasn't there at the very start to put a stop to it because of them.

"...Why did you do that anyway?"

"Hmm? I thought I told you: I didn't want to lose you because of an attack I feared was coming. It's just unfortunate that it was sooner than I anticipated." He answers.

They sigh, "I could have been stuck there forever..."

"But you weren't!" He says hurriedly, more like he's trying to reassure his justification to himself than them, "You're here, you're ok, and I promise I won't ever do that to you again."

"Then are you just going to keep me down here forever?"

"O-Of course not!"

"Then when will you let me go?" They ask.

Silence.

"Pure Vanilla Cookie!" They say with newfound anger.

He frowns, fiddling with his staff, obviously avoiding answering.

"Vanilla!"

"I don't know... I don't want you hurting yourself."

"Oh! And locking me up against my will definitely isn't hurting me!"

"Dear, are you doubting my ability to care for you?"

"Are you assuming how much I wish to be cared for? I'm not a child, Pure Vanilla Cookie..." They reply angrily.

The silence of avoidance. This obviously wasn't a very thoroughly thought through long-term plan...
Clearly he'd have to let them go at some point (whether that be because someone else discovered them here, or because he could not continue to keep them here)!

Muffled yells come from a room attached to the dungeon.

(C/F) Cookie opens their mouth to yell for help, but chokes as they feel a familiar spell(levitation spell) grip their throat.

"Dear (C/F) Cookie..." Pure Vanilla Cookie smiles, "Do remember that while I am a healer, I don't just know healing and defense spells."
The only reason he wasn't moving them was definitely his care for the fact that their legs could crumble off if they were jolted around too much at the moment.
"I won't restrain you further if I don't have to." He says coldly, "Don't push me to do something the both of us would regret."

He lets go, and they gasp and cough for air.

"Now, clearly Cookies are requesting me elsewhere." He says like he didn't just do that, "I'll be back later. Until then, dear."

They are left with the realization of just how powerless they were to him, and the silence of their own fear.