7.

After an eternity of standing there, the guard came out of the chamber. His eyes were fixed on the ground but his body turned towards Fahriye Kalfa.

   "Our prince awaits inside", he says, gesturing towards the chamber.

   "What?", words left my mouth before I could comprehend the situation. Did he really just chose her over me?

   "You heard what our prince said", the girl said, venom lacing her words.

   "It can't be-", I couldn't believe this.

   This couldn't be true.

   Turning towards the guard, I asked "Did you tell him Katerina was here?"

   "Hatun! Go back to harem. Do not create a scene! Go!", Fahriye half yelled at me, proceeding to take the girl inside.

   I watched her go in and the other girls leave and decided to leave as well.

   Taking slow yet steady steps, I didn't know where I was going but it sure wasn't the harem. Questioning myself the same question, I reached a small balcony.

   How could he do this to me?

   I looked up at the sky, trying to clear my head. The broad sky and the countless stars making me question every bit of happiness I shared with him.

   Was it just a beautiful dream?

   Yes. Yes it was just a beautiful dream and what happened mere minutes ago was the harsh reality.

   Was this supposed to happen?

   Yes it was. It was bound to happen. I had been warned. Countless warnings had been thrown at me from Hürrem Sultan yet I had ignored all them.

   Why would he do this?

   Why would he not?

   He's a prince after all. He is supposed to do this. I am not the first one to experience this, and certainly not the last.

   Why does it hurt?

   Because-

   Because what?

   I couldn't answer that. Does it hurt because I thought he was a good friend? Or because I fear that she will steal him from me?

   Why do I fear that? Why?

   Sighing I unclasp my hands, the ring falling on the marble floor made my heart skip a beat. Picking it up, I looked at the dark sky one last time before going back to harem.

Cihangirs pov

   Sümbül aga had informed me about my mother sending a girl to the halvet today. No matter how many times I refused, they didn't bother to listen. And now I was caught up in between my mother's wish and Katerina.

   The guard waited for a reply and I stood there internally debating what to do.

   "Let the girl in", I finally spoke.

   He bowed and left. After a good minute the girl walked in.

   "My prince", she said immediately sitting on the floor whilst bowing.

   It was the girl I had seen in my mother's chamber some time ago.

   "Get up", I said in a gentle voice.

   Her head was bowed but I could see her grinning. She was happy and I hated breaking it but she had to know.

   "What's your name?", I asked walking towards the jug of water.

   "Dilrüba, my prince", she replied.

   I took a sip of water and turned towards her.

   "Dilrüba hatun, I dont want to sound rude but you need to go"

   It felt as if my words hit her l like a brick. Her grin transformed into a deep frown.

   "Have I have a mistake my prince?", she asked naively.

   "No but you can't stay here anymore. Please leave.", I announced turning my back towards her, waiting for her to leave.

   After a minute she finally left and I made my way towards the vase that held few familiar roses.

Katerinas pov

   I was lucky no one was awake. I tip toed to my bed and laid down ready to quiet my racing mind with some sleep but it was as if the universe wanted me to stay up and make me go insane with all these questions that made no sense.

   I tossed and turned, tried to think of other things but everything ended in Cihangir and his refusal.

   Tears made their way down my face.

   I should've never been his friend. If I just focused on finding ways to go back, I would be in my home right now and not laying in this darkness thinking about how the only light I had seen had abandoned me.

   I felt betrayed.

   He was the only person who made me feel at peace and now he's the reason I am restless. I had spent some days with him but it felt as if I have known him for a lifetime.

   All my thoughts were crushed when I heard faint footsteps. Slyly lifting my head, I see the girl from earlier.

   My head fell on the soft pillow. A big grin unfolded on my face.

   He sent her back-

   HE SENT HER BACK!

   It was as if the universe wanted to show me what happened. My racing mind now finally at peace, wiping my tears, I managed to find a comfortable position to sleep in and let the darkness take over me.