Chapter Three

Maddie went home with a sore neck. It snapped back when she fell off her board but she seemed to be doing quite fine.

When they finally got home, they found JJ dead asleep on the pullout bed. Only he could sleep his way through a massive hurricane without any issues.

Pope managed to sneak his way back into his own household, so he wasn't with them anymore. Even though Maddie begged him to stay for a good fifteen minutes.

Maddie drags her board into the screen in porch, leaning it in the corner before grumpily shuffling into her room and flopping on the bed. It took her a while to fight through the nasty headache and fall asleep, but when she finally did, it was the worst sleep she'd ever had.

Morning came so quickly. Madeline was exhausted and didn't feel like moving from her warm bed, but she promised John B that she'd wake him up to check out the storm damage.

She rolled out of bed, nearly falling over when she stood up straight. She pulled down her shorts a little, they were pulled higher due to her constant moving while she slept.

She stumbles into John B's room, passing JJ who was still slumped on the pullout bed. When she looks over to John B, a leak in the roof is letting water drip onto his face. Maddie rolls her eyes as she dives into the old bed next to him, scaring the living daylights out of John B.

"Oh my god, Mads. You scared the shit out of me." He whines, making Maddie chuckle a little. "That wasn't funny."

Maddie pokes her finger into his side, making him jump again. "Wake up." She says dully, poking him again.

He sits up and groans, wiping the water off of his tired face. "You are so annoying, you know that?" He asks, grabbing his phone from his nightstand. When he turns it on his eyes immediately roll. "No service?"

"You're taking way too long." Madeline complains, standing up to make her way to the light switch. A smirk crawls onto her face, "I'll turn on the light if you don't get up, think of how bad it'll hurt your oh so tired eyes." She says, slowly raising her hand up to the light switch.

"No, please don't."

She flips the light switch up anyways, but to her disappointment, the light didn't turn on, making John B crack a smile. "No power." She says, drawing her lips into a line.

"Unlucky."

"Oh really?" She says, walking back towards him. She grabs his ear only so hard that he squints his eyes in fear of her actually tugging his ear harder and pulls him to his feet. "Come on, bub." She teases him, letting go of his ear and pushing him through the door.

John B smacks the inside of JJ's thigh, "Yo, JJ, you been outside?" He asks. Apparently JJ was awake but it sure didn't look like it.

"I have polio, bro." He lies, making both John B and Maddie roll their eyes. "I can't walk."

John B ignored JJ's sarcastic comments and pushes the light storm door, looking at the surrounding area of their messy yard through the screen of the screened in porch. He takes a look back at Maddie who is sharing the same annoyed face as him. They both noticed quickly that the outside was even more trashed than it usually is.

John B makes his way down the few steps while Maddie stands in the doorway. "Oh, man." John B yawns, running a hand through his messy morning hair. "That's no good." He whines, putting his hands on his head. "That's not good."

"I never thought the outside of the chateau would ever look as bad as the inside." Maddie says, leaning on the inside of the doorframe. She watches as John B move towards their boat which was covered in branches. "But apparently I was wrong. This is really bad."