Chapter Twelve

Look, for nine months, everybody tried to get me to believe my dad's dead.
They say I'm in denial. Whatever.
Denial's underrated. You should tried it sometime. It's highly effective and, it's only denial if you're wrong.
It doesn't make any sense. My dad is the last guy who would ever get lost at sea.
This compass coming back to me, my fathers compass, which was passed down for generations. It's a sign.
My dads still alive. And i'm gonna find him.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Maddie slept in the guest room over night, not even hearing John B leave the house in the morning to go to the Cameron's to try and secretly restore the tanks he stole. Everyone got pretty quiet after John B had found his dad's compass the night before. It was a subject everyone knew that needed to be let go and cooled off before being picked back up again. She didn't hear John B come home and fall back asleep on the couch either.

What she did hear was a banging on the door and a man scream, "DCS, I know you're in there."

She sat up and began to get out from under her covers, tucking her hair behind her ear. But she instantly stopped when she heard a bang on the window and a hysteric laugh she knew all too well. "I gotcha, Slick."

With a groan she laid back down and hid herself below the covers in an attempt to catch a few more minutes of sleep.

It's not long before it's disrupted again this time by someone flopping in the bed next to her. "Good morning, hot stuff."

"Oh my god, JJ." She mumbles as she flips over. She already knew JJ had his intentions of waking her up and getting her to go with him and John B on their little adventure. "Quit it and leave me alone."

Then, JJ disappears from the room, scurrying out with a smile on his face. The sound of someone scrummaging around the house could be heard as he was looking for something. John B could be heard sighing and telling JJ that his ass was going to be beaten if he went through with his initial plan.

He reappears in the room. "Maddie." He smirks as she turns her head to look at him. He chucks his hat at her before pulling out a water pistol and squirting her with the ice cold water.

"You son of a bitch, I'm going to kill you." She shouts as she stands up from under the covers and snatches his hat, putting it on herself. He runs out of the room and into the living room but she is only a step behind when she springs off of the ground and clings on to his back. She puts him in a tense chokehold but still giving him breathing room.

He begins to act like he's losing air and struggling to stay on his feet as he slowly lowers himself to the ground below. He finally collapses and sticks his tongue out as the corners of his rosy lips pulled into a cheeky smile.

Maddie stands up and fixes the hat on her head before walking back into the bedroom and shutting to door to change.

"She got you again, bud." John B sighs as JJ stands pack up, brushing his shirt off and smiling.

"I let her win." He lies. It was honestly an impressive jump and he was still surprised it didn't knock him over.

Maddie comes back into the living room in a pair of denim shorts and JJ's favorite top. A baby pink tube top that fit around her torso perfectly. Her hair had been messed around with to give it volume but on the top of her head sat JJ's cap that he'd thrown at her. A smug smile was on her face as she walked in front of John B and JJ again. Both of their jaws were dropped and their eyes had stopped blinking.