Chapter Seven

They silently climb up a few sets of stairs until they reach the top floor. "Just be so careful, John B." JJ breathes, getting up close and personal.

"God. You're so annoying." He huffs as he tries to continue walking. He shakes his head and looks back at Maddie for help but is interrupted by JJ asking what the whole scene was about. "I don't know, maybe she wants us to be careful." He suggests like it was the most obvious answer in the world.

"I don't know man." Maddie smirks, "Seemed like a little bit more than that. Don't you think, JJ?"

"Since shes heard you've been threatened with exile shes just been like; Oh be so careful John B." JJ moans as he massages John B's shoulders. But just like before, John B pushes him off. "Like just give me that John D already." That comment made Maddie laugh out loud for a second before he started talking again. "Like, when are you gonna swoop on that, man?"

"Bro, you know the rule. No pogue on pogue macking." He says, trying to escape JJ's series of intrusive questions.

"Oh?" JJ laughs. "No pogue on pogue macking?"

"Yeah." John B nods, looking him dead in the eye.

"Well what about you and Maddie?"

John B and Maddie stopped in their tracks. "You didn't have to say that." John B says with all of the seriousness he could gather. JJ knew it was a topic that wasn't to be brought up. It was a situation that was supposed to be understood and left in the past.

"I didn't mean to say it like that." JJ hesitated. He knew that he messed up.

Maddie reaches up and tugs his ear, making him shout quickly. "Let's just move on. The room is right up here." She insists as she pushes passed them.

"Anyways," John B continues. "You're the one who's always hitting on Kie."

"Dude, of course I'm always hitting on her." JJ implies, getting an eye roll from John B. "She's a super hot, rich, hippie chick slumming with us. Why? I can't figure it out either. But who cares bro? I know that doors locked because I've tried it. Have you?"

Maddie reaches the door and turns to look at the two boys who are still bickering and walking slower than turtles.

"You need help. Not like a little bit of help, you need a lot of help.

"Cause, it's like every girl who just has a heartbeat, you're like...." John B finishes the sad fact with a weird noise. JJ tells him it isn't a big deal.

Both of the teenage boys stop and look at Maddie who is now a foot in front of them leaning on the door of the motel room they were looking for. "Are you two heartthrobs done whining about girls who don't want you or am I going in this room without you?" She questions them, making them both blush in embarrassment.

They both apologize quietly making Maddie smile amusingly.

JJ moves nexts to her, knocking a song onto the door. "Housekeeping!" He sings in a high pitches voice. He checks in the window after getting no response.

"Should we try it?" He asks, looking at Maddie.

She raises her arms. "What do you mean should we try it? I didn't just listen to that entire conversation between the two of you to come up here and not try to get into this room."

"No power. No security cameras. No one's gonna know." JJ agrees, nodding towards the door.

John B unlocks the door before breathing out loudly. JJ pushes his way in first, taking a look around the dark room. "Let's check the bag, see if there's a name on there somewhere." John B suggests, shining his flashlight onto the bag.