Chapter Twenty-Seven

Maddie woke up with JJ's back turn to her. His slight stir as he slept made her smile as she groggily rolled out of bed with a yawn. She quietly moves around the room as she runs a brush through her hair, then grabs a new pair of clothes. Maddie eventually made it into the bathroom where she cleaned herself up and brushed her teeth. The new clothes fit perfectly around her skin and she ran her hands through her hair to give it volume.

When she made it back into the bedroom she frowns when she sees JJ sitting up with his head in his hands. "Good morning."

JJ slowly turns his head and forces a smile. He kept his eyes squinted as she looks at him in confusion. "Morning, hot stuff."

"What's up? Are you feeling okay?" Maddie asks him. Worried by the sight of his poor body language.

"My head's a little scrambled." He jokes as he tries to cover up the pain he was feeling. She hated to see him with bruises. Even if it was a common thing that he would show up with new marks from his father. "Like a little more than usual."

Maddie sighs and closes the window curtains to darken the room, allowing him to open his eyes fully and look at the girl who looked angry and confused. "I'll get you a tylonel, yeah?" She smiles, putting her hand on his shoulder and moving her thumb along his soft skin. "What else do you need?"

"Food." He answers almost instantly.

She chuckles and stands up from the bed, grabbing the tylonel bottle from the bedside table and giving him some. "We can get food at Heyward's. If we take any longer, Pope and Kie will suspect something."

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"Get dressed." Maddie doesn't acknowledge his smart remark and he smiles with a slight chuckle. "I swear you better be so fast or I'm pulling you out of the house by your pinky."

JJ was more like himself after they left the chateau. The pain medication had kicked in and he got all of the morning soreness out of the way. As the two teens walk to Heyward's, they chatted and laughed. But, they left the previous night out of their conversation. They knew Pope and Kie would bring it up when they got there, and they were not excited to hear. When they got there, Pope and Kiara welcomed them and they took their places around the store.

Pope almost immediately brought it up. He wasn't as banged up as JJ. "We're so screwed, JJ."

JJ shakes his head and sits on a counter. It was clear he didn't like the outcome and it was clear that he didn't want to hear Pope's overthinking. "Don't let it get in your head, bro. They punked our asses. That's some typical Kook shit right there."

"Hell yeah." Kiara chimes.

Maddie smiles and leans against one of the walls. Her guard was up. More than it usually was. The disappearance of John B was bothering her too. But, she stayed collected so the Pogues would stay in order. "Pope, what was the thought process? You know, using your head and all?"

"I don't know, Maddie." He admits. Pope sounded like he regretted the idea of it. "I just kind of acted of instinct. Alright? I was a cornered animal."

Maddie just nods.

The quick second of silence was interrupted by Heyward practically running back into the store. "Hey, Pope, someone's here to see you." He says. He wasn't smiling and he looked quite nervous.

And it all made sense when Deputy Shoupe came strutting in the door like he owned the place.

Maddie muttered under her breath in frustration.

"Morning officer." Pope greets him nervously.

Shoupe half smiles before continuing further into the store. "I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." Shoupe hands a piece of paper to Heyward and Pope looks back at JJ who was clenching his jaw. "Hands on the counter where I can see 'em."