Chapter Eighteen

The Pogues laughed their whole way home, the feeling of adrenaline coursing through their bodies, giving them a buzz. Pope mostly hid in the back, hiding himself under a blanket Maddie always kept in the back of the Twinkie.

When the van pulled onto the chateau's property, JJ, Kie, and Pope all ran out the back before John B had even come to a complete stop. Maddie puts a hand on her best friend's shoulder, making him turn to look at her. "You alright?"

John B hesitates for a second before a small smile appears on his face. He nods at her, getting lost in her gaze for a second. "Never better, Mads."

For a second it felt like there was no one around them, their faces were two magnets trying to pull towards one another. They were just inches apart when Maddie clears her throat, backing away. "We're not doing this."

John B's face heats up, a pink shade of embarrassment painting his cheeks. "Mads..."

"You just kissed Kiara." Madeline interrupts him. She lets her hand feel the side of his face and her fingers caress his cheekbone. "And I get you got friend zoned. And I get that you're really emotional right now. But this... us? It can't happen, John B."

John B clenches his jaw before smiling again. "I'm sorry." He apologizes, making her tell him that there was no need for an apology. "You know, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, Mads. But getting close with you hasn't been, and never will be one of them."

"Right back at you." She smiles, making him chuckle. "Let's go find out what's in this thing, alright?"

John B nods as a signal for them both to get out, passing JJ on the way in. He was making a sandwich, but Pope was off to the side cringing. "That bread had mold on it three days ago."

"I'll just pull off the bad parts." JJ defends himself as he continues to cover the old bread in peanut butter. "Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism." He explains, putting the top piece on.

"JJ." Kiara calls him from the living room, making him look up at Maddie as they both rush into the other room.

They both stood behind John B who was nervously staring at the package that had For Bird written in Sharpie on the front. "Hot damn! Let's do it."

Maddie places her hand on John B's back and he tears the package open. JJ reaches for his hat on Maddie's head, but she smacks his hand away as he takes a bite from his sandwich. Next thing she knew, JJ gagged, spitting the mouthful of sandwich out in his hand, the mold apparently not tasting as good as he thought it would.

John B ignores JJ antics, pulling a piece of paper out of the bag and unfolding it. Dust flew up but he barely even flinches. On it was a map, with annotations across is. "Holy shit." John B mumbles, flattening the map on the table.

Pope hums before letting his finger fall to a marking on the map. "Well, X marks the spot."

"The spot of what?" Maddie asks.

No one answers her question. John B tracing his finger along the lines of the piece. "Longitude, latitude." He reaches for the FedEx bag again. "Wait, there's somethin' else in there."

He pulls out a small black box, making JJ look at it with his brows furrowed in confusion. "What's that?"

Kiara shrugs her shoulders and shoots JJ a look. She noticed the mood change in the room just as well as Maddie had, the room seemingly a couple feet smaller than earlier. "It's a tape recorder. Dumbass." Kiara deadpans, looking at Maddie before looking back down at John B.

John B presses the button, and an unexpected voice comes from it. "Dear Bird."

"Who's Bird?" JJ immediately interrupts, making everyone roll their eyes. They had lanterns and candles lit around the house, still not having power after the hurricane.