one

"Come on, Viv! Quit being slow and hurry up." I groaned at the pestering voice of my best friend, Florence. 

"I'm coming!" I hauled another bag from the back of the taxi. Thanking the driver with a twenty-dollar bill, Flo pulled me onto the sidewalk and away from traffic.

 "Holy crap." I breathed out. The buildings were beautiful. The stone exterior looked old, yet as if they had soaked up every single memory. Keeping them hidden in the walls. Green ropes of Ivy had grown over the columns and windows. Trees swayed in the distance as leaves fell onto the sidewalk, welcoming the brisk temperature of fall. 

"Flo." She looked over at me. Both of us laughed as our mouths hung open. "We're actually here!!" We both screamed, picking up our bags as we made our way to the dorm assignment table. Florence and I had been friends for years. We grew up together. Side by side. That was until her parents were arrested, forcing her to live with her older sister. She moved all the way to Ohio, leaving me alone in Oregan. I had my older brother, of course, Aaron. But eventually, I became the 'annoying little sister'. And I was all alone again. Flo and I got back in touch through the internet. So hearing about admissions being open to the school we both dreamed about as kids, we had to apply together. 

And by no coincidence, Scarlet, her sister, was also one of the science and physics professors here. As was my brother. However, he taught criminal justice.  

Now next in line, a blonde woman motioned us forward. "Hi! Welcome to Columbia University! I'm Lizzie! Names?" I smiled, feeling welcomed by the extremely cheery girl in front of me. I would usually find people this enthusiastic so...obnoxious. But today I was here, at my dream school. And absolutely nothing was bringing my mood down. 

"Viviana Johnson," I motioned to me, "And Florence Pugh."

The girl nodded, going down a list when she stopped her finger over a slot. "Here we are." Picking up two keys, she placed them in our hands, along with a 'Welcome to Columbia' packet. "You two are roommates...as requested." She looked over the paperwork. "Mobius hall, Room 2B. Second floor, first door to the left." I smiled, picking up one of the many bags adorning my arms. "Thank you, Lizzie."

"Of course," She grinned, "I'm a senior and also a RA so if you ever need anything, I'm here!" We walked away and towards our dorm, hearing Lizzie greet another freshman behind us. 

"She seems nice." I nodded, looking around for the right building. "Eh," Florence shrugged. I gave her a look as if asking why that reaction. "What? She seems too eccentric." Flo defended, pointing to our assigned dorm. Mobius hall. 

I rolled my eyes, "You just say that because you hate people."

She nodded, walking into the building. "That's right. All people besides you." I scoffed, pushing one of my suitcases with my leg up the stairs, "I'm flattered."

We finally made it to the second floor after minutes of groaning and pushing our heavy bags up. "Okay. 2B." Florence said, pushing her key into the lock and twisting it. The door clicked open as we both looked around. The room was simple. Two double beds were placed on each side. A simple mattress lay on the top, bare of sheets. A window sat in the middle of the beds. Two wooden desks below it. 

I plopped my bags down on the ground, readjusting the tan cardigan that had fallen off my shoulder. "It's amazing, Flo!" I smiled, walking over to look at the view from our floor. 

"It's a bare room with white walls. You daydream too much, Viv." I rolled my eyes at my best friend. "And you don't have a sense of imagination." She scoffed, "I have a sense of imagination! I just use it with food and culinary arts."

I turned around, facing her with my hands up in defense, "And that's why I'm the English Major." Flo hummed, "Exactly." I saw her looking over the bags. She groaned, "I think I left one of your suitcases at the curb." I searched around, "Which one?"

"The little green one. It has all your notebooks and journals in it." I nodded, "It's fine. I'll go get it." Picking up my key from the empty desk, I walked out and down the stairs. Passing the admins desk where Lizzie was still checking students in and followed the sidewalk to where we were dropped off. I saw my little green duffle bag sitting right where Flo had left it. 

All of the journals I had written in over the years were stuffed into one small bag. Years and years, pages and pages of stories, political theories I found interesting, and even some fanfics I didn't have the courage to post online. Thank god it was still here.

I paced over, picking it up. I unzipped it, making sure no one had messed with anything. it looked all the same to me. Shrugging, I was about to make my way back when I ran into a hard chest. I groaned, falling back into the road behind me. "Fuck!" My palms broke my fall, tearing the skin where the pavement had met.  

"Oops!" I looked up to see a tall, blonde, skinny jock throwing a football. "My bad." He snickered, walking away with his friends following behind. I scoffed, standing up and dusting off my jeans. "Jerk."

Suddenly a horn blared in my ears, catching my attention to the fact I was still standing in the road. I held my hands up, bracing to be hit. But before the car met my body, I was yanked back onto the street. My duffle bag falling beside my feet. 

"Are you alright?" I looked up, seeing the most beautiful pair of blue eyes. They had a hint of green, but not much. His glasses made the sun reflect, snapping me back into reality. "I'm sorry, what?" I questioned, aware of this very attractive man's hand was holding onto my arm. 

"I asked if you were alright, love. That could've ended so much worse."

I nodded, slowly slipping my arm from his grip, "I'm okay, thank you. I just got knocked down by..." I saw the confusion in his eyes. Or maybe was it...worry? He flipped my hand over, looking down at the small drops of blood seeping through the gashes. 

"It's nothing, never mind." I picked up my bag, slipping my key back into my pocket. "Thank you again, uhm..." I trailed off, insinuating I wanted his name. 

"Tom." He smiled, his cheeks lifting up. "Well, Professor Hiddleston actually. I'm new this year." I nodded, "Well Thank you...Professor Hiddleston."

"Of course." He stepped back, smoothing down the sleek brown suit he had on. "Be careful. Traffic can be dangerous here." I looked around to see the hundreds of cars flying by. by now there was an absence of students, most of whom were in the dorms by now or already exploring the town. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind." 

"And go by the nurse. Those could become infected if not cleaned properly," He motioned to my still bleeding hands as I looked into his eyes. Tom smiled once again, backing away. "Take care, love."

I watched him walk further and further. Suddenly feeling a loss of warmth on my arm from where his hand had been. This man saved my life. Not only that but he was generously attractive. A shame I wouldn't see him again. I had to focus on college now. Plus he's a professor, It could never happen. 

_

A/N: Ahhh! I've been wanting to write a Professor fanfic for so long. I'm glad Tom is the first one. I  have a lot planned for this already! I'm excited about where I could take it. 

Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote and comment!!