nine

Tom pulled into a driveway, stopping in front of a large house. Looking like something out of a period drama, it had beautiful stone pillars which were placed in front of a large porch. Wooden chairs sat on the front, the surface darkening from the pouring rain. 

I still had my knees bent, hugging them to my chest. "Here, I'll..." Tom stammered, pulling the handle as he exited. The car was suddenly void of heat, making me shiver as my side door was yanked open. 

"Here." Tom removed his jacket, placing the suede suit blazer over my shoulders. I muttered a small 'thanks', placing my hand in his as he offered. Pulling me to my feet, he covered my shoulder with his arm, closing and locking the car. We walked up to the porch, stepping up as Tom pulled his keys out once again. 

"It's uh. It's not fully furnished." He gestured to the house, "I'm still moving in." I bobbed my head, listening. "But it's home." The door finally opened, making the warmth of the house flood the front of my body. Tom placed a hand on the small of my back, making me jump slightly until I recognized his touch. He removed his palm. 

"Sorry. I just.." I shook my head, catching his attention. "It's okay. I promise." He smiled softly, placing his hand back on my waist as he led me through the entrance of his home. 

The house was exactly like...him. 

Wooden floors and dark accents to emerald walls. A stairwell lined with books underneath. Instead of a classic chandelier over the foyer, there was a single light post lamp hanging. Tom led me further in, not caring about the water my footsteps were leaving with every step. 

"Please, sit." I hesitated, not wanting to get his brown cloth couch wet. "It's alright. I'll clean it."

"I don't want to mess up your stuff." I shook my head. 

Suddenly a loud pitter-patter came from behind me, a chocolate cocker spaniel jumping on the couch. I yelped, a smile embracing my features as the little dog jumped on me. "Bobby! Get down!" Tom softly placed the little puppy off of me, his hand rubbing against me where my shirt had ridden up. "I'm so sorry." He apologized, making me raise my hand to pet the dog I now knew as Bobby. "It's okay. I love dogs." I bent down, making little baby noises as Bobby wagged his tail and let his tongue hang from the side of his mouth. 

"See." Tom pointed to the paw prints of mud on the couch, "A little water is nothing compared to that." I let out a breath, slowly sitting down on the sofa. Bobby jumped into my lap, laying his head on my chest. 

"He likes you." Tom smiled. 

I looked down to the little baby in my lap, "I like him too." Tom chuckled, yet his smile dropped when he saw me shiver. "Uhm, this will work for the time being." Within a moment a large blanket dropped onto my shoulder, making me close my eyes at the instant warmth. 

"I'll be back." I nodded, leaning back into the couch as I could hear Tom walk away. Exhaustion took over my body. Past memories of my ex felt fuzzy in my mind. Punching that Evans kid. Mine and Aaron's fight. They were all blurred for a moment. I was in another world. Nothing mattered. Nothing except Tom, Bobby still lying in my lap, and sleep. 

_

"Darling?" I squinted, opening my eyes. The lights were down low, dimmed. A couple of candles lay around, making the scent of sandalwood flood my nostrils. Bobby's head perched on my thigh, Tom sitting on the edge of the couch as he looked down at me. "Are you alright?" 

I groaned, sitting up and feeling my muscles instantly regret it. My hair had been tied into a towel. I pulled it off, making Tom grasp it. "I didn't want you getting hypothermia, my love."

I let out a laugh, "I think I would've gotten a cold. Nothing that severe." 

Tom placed a hand on my cheek, causing me to look right into his eyes. "I wasn't going to risk it." Gulping, I melted into his embrace; nuzzling my face into his hand. 

"You truly are marvelous, my love." I felt my heart stop at his words. No one had ever said such kind things to me. Especially not someone like Tom. 

"Please.." I whispered, pulling on his shirt with my fist. 

"Please what? Viviana.."

I let out a breath, "Do something." Tom smirked, leaning in. "I will."

Suddenly I was raised from the couch, taken into his arms as my legs wrapped around his waist. I gripped my arms around his neck, holding on as he walked us up the steps. "You are a piece of art, darling." Tom's lips pressed a hot kiss upon the still cool skin of my neck, making me moan lowly. 

I heard a door open as he walked us through. Tom's room. I lifted my head, looking around. Books littered the shelves. Posters of geography and different landscapes were laid on the walls. Suddenly I felt a soft material under me, Tom laying me on the mattress. 

Yet to my despair he walked away and to his closet. "Tom?" I called out, about to get up when he walked back out. In his hands, he softly placed two sets of clothing on the bed beside me. 

"What are you doing?" I questioned, looking up at him. He came to stand in between my legs, cupping my cheeks with his large palms. "I'm doing something."

"And that would be?" I asked again, running my hands up and down his arms that were cradling my face. He leaned in, pressing a reassuring kiss to my forehead. "I'm making sure you get enough rest in dry clothes." 

Tom pulled away, the absence of his warmth making me feel empty. He picked up the t-shirt and pair of plaid pajama pants. "I'll be downstairs while you change. The bathroom is through there." He gestured towards the two french doors as he handed me the clothes. His hand squeezed mine, "Sleep, Please."

Without another word, he left the room. He left me sitting on his bed, hair and clothes still wet. And turned on for what never came. 

I groaned, falling back onto the covers. What did I do wrong?