nineteen

"Your what?!" I shouted, ignoring the tears streaming down my face. Tom stammered, pulling his boxers up as I looked away. The woman, Jessica, slid her dress back on and stood in the corner arms-crossed. 

Eventually, when the two were decent, I eyed Tom, glaring. 

"What the hell?!" 

"I uh.." He gulped, "I can explain."

Nodding, I wiped fallen tears with the sleeve of my sweater, "Then do."

Tom nodded hastily, taking a breath before pointing to his so-called ex-wife. "First of all, I had no intentions of this ever happening again. We divorced weeks ago and-"

"Wait." I held my hand up, "Weeks ago?"

"Well yes, that's when everything was final but-"

"You were still married while fucking me?"

I could see the guilt in his eyes but in mine, he was only making excuses. How the hell could I forgive him for this?

"Again.." Tom spoke lowly, "She showed up to grab the last of her things and we got to talking and.."

"And you fucked her." I deadpanned, "While you're in a relationship with me."

"If it makes the situation better-" Jessica tried to interrupt before I cut her off. 

"Nothing would make this situation better." I looked over at her, "I don't wanna hear shit from you." Turning back my attention to Tom, "I want to hear it from you...why?"

He walked forward, softly grabbing my forearms and falling to his knees. "Please don't throw what we have away, my love." I shook my head, sobbing quietly as my vision blurred from the salty tears. 

"I love you, darling. Ever since I saw you sitting in the back row of my classroom-"

"Wait." Jessica let out a laugh, "She's your student?"

I ripped my arms from Tom's grip, reminding myself of what I had walked into. "Not anymore." 

"What?" He mumbled, standing once again. "Tomorrow I'm going to the deans' office and requesting a change of schedule." Tom attempted to interrupt but I stopped him with a look, "I might be able to forgive the fact that you were married while we were fucking in your office. Because at least I would've known you didn't love her, and that you were ending it."

I kept my head down, glancing up at Jessica only for a moment, "But I can't forgive seeing you two in bed together while we were sleeping there only hours before." I held my head up, looking Tom in the eye. "Goodbye, Professor Hiddleston."

Fighting back the tears, I turned and walked from the room. I could hear the distinct sound of Jessica shouting as I made my way down the stairs to get my bag. Bobby's tail came into view as he jumped on my leg. 

"Hi, buddy." I reached down, petting him behind the ear. "I'm gonna miss you." Droplets of tears fell down onto his face as he whimpered below me. Like he could feel I was leaving. I didn't wanna believe it myself either. That Tom could do this. I thought he was different. Jokes on me I guess. 

I picked up Bobby one last time, holding him close to my chest. "Hey," He perked up, his eyes meeting mine. "If you get a chance, bite the bitch for me." Bobby wagged his tail like he knew what I was saying. "Good," I nodded, placing him down on the floor, "We have an understanding then."

Picking my bag up from the first step of the stairwell, I took a deep breath and tuned out the arguing above me. 

I bolted when I heard Tom's steps coming down, running out the front door and toward the city. Tom shouted behind me but I ignored it.