seventeen

"Oh my god..." I mumbled, bringing myself back to my feet as Aaron ran up beside me. "Shit, Viv. You can run so damn fas-"

"Chris." I deadpanned, staring at the man in front of me. I could see Aaron's head snap over in my peripheral vision. We both looked at my ex-boyfriend in shock. 

"Oh my god!" Chris's smile widened as he stepped toward me, making me cower slightly. "How have you been?!"

Aaron's jaw clenched and his fist tightened. I knew how they felt about each other. "What are you doing here?" I asked, ignoring his former question. 

Chris gestured to the city, "I'm in town for a meeting about the company." Memories flooded back to my mind. The company. 

That stupid fucking company. 

The number of nights Chris spent working while I was left waiting for him to even answer my texts. I still lived at home, but he was six years older than me. Which Aaron of course wasn't happy about. The fact that I was underage and the fact I was always stood up. 

"Oh, that's..." I trailed off, pushing all of the old memories to the back of my mind, "Nice."

He nodded, finally acknowledging my brother that stood beside me. "And it's nice to see you too Aaron." Chris held that same arrogant smile. The one where he believed he had the upper hand in everything just because he had money and a nice car. 

Yet money and his precious car, who he seemed to pay more attention to when we were dating, didn't hide the fact that he was an abusive asshole. One who was smirking down at me like I had no clue in the world of what he was up to. 

Which some part of me didn't. I could never tell what was up his sleeve next. 

"Wish I could say the same." Aaron snarked, slowly slipping his car keys from my hand to his. "If you'll excuse us, we're about to have lunch." I stood still, my whole body tense as if I was paralyzed in place. 

At this moment, Tom wasn't in my mind, neither were Flo and Lizzie. Nothing was there besides the face of my ex-boyfriend, who last time I saw left me in the hospital, not by accident. 

"Oh, that's perfect!" Chris threw his hands up in an exciting motion, making me step back a little in fear. He could tell this, he always could read me as if he knew me better than myself. "Oh look at that." Chris let out a laugh, "Still pretending to be scared of me."

His tone was jokingly upbeat, yet his words hid a matter that both Aaron and I knew wasn't funny. He knew he scared me, he always had. yet seeing him in a place I had gone to escape our hometown, broke all the security I felt.  At least my brother was by my side. If he wasn't  I probably would've pissed my pants by now. 

"Why is that perfect?" Aaron questioned, pressing the unlock on his car making it beep twice with flashing orange lights. "Because I've been looking for some cool spots to eat since I'm gonna be in town for a while."

"How long?" I questioned, clearing my voice so I could the inevitable crack. It didn't convince even me though. 

"A couple of weeks." Chris nodded, "Maybe four or five."

I swallowed again, the back of my throat feeling like sandpaper, "That's nice."

"Is that all you can say?" Chris laughed, making Aaron clear his throat, interrupting the little staredown Chris and I had initiated. 

"Well, we better get going." Aaron tugged on my arm softly, making me walk as he opened the passenger door. "Where are you going? I'll meet you there." Aaron shook his head, ignoring Chris's question as he situated me in the seat. 

"We have reservations. Only two." I took a deep breath, staring straight as the door closed, muffling both of their voices. But the interior of the car didn't close them out totally. I could hear the argument ensuing. 

"Why are you being such a dick?"

"You know why! Leave my sister alone and don't talk to us again!"

The driver's door opened. Aaron dropped into the seat and locked the car. We both sat there until we saw Chris scoffing and walking away from the rearview mirror. 

"Are you okay?" Aaron asked, making my head snap over to his. I nodded, "Yeah. I'm fine. Let's just..." I trailed off, "Let's go to lunch."

Aaron kept his gaze on mine for a while longer, my lie inevitable behind my eyes. "Alright." He mumbled, looking over his shoulder before he tore off into the streets of New York. 

_

"So you're okay with the whole thing?" I questioned, taking a bite of alfredo from my fork. He nodded, "There are no rules quite against it in the handbook."

I shook my head, "That isn't what I asked."

He sighed, "I'm not gonna lie, It makes me uncomfortable." I stopped eating, stilling as I waited for him to continue. "But if he makes you happy, which he seems to..Then you're eighteen and you can make your own decisions." 

A wide smile grew on my face, "Thank you, Aaron."

He bobbed his head up and down, "Of course." Gesturing to my plate, he spun his fork in his noodles. "Now eat your food."

_

"Oh my god!!" I was pummeled with a hug the second I walked into the dorm lobby. "You're back!" Lizzie shouted, making me laugh as I wrapped my arms around her too. We had only hung out once and met a couple of times but she was the sweetest human being on this planet, I swear. 

"I'm back!" I laughed, pulling away and seeing the widest smile on her face. "Come on!" She pulled me through the lobby and into the living room of the dorm. "Lizzie what are you-"

"Surprise!" A hoard of voices shouted, making me slap my hand over my heart in astonishment. A large sign was over a table that had several pizza boxes. "Welcome back, Viv!"

I laughed, seeing people from all of my classes. Zendaya, Tom. Even Mr. Stan who was leaning on a wall in the corner, holding a red solo cup. 

"Oh my god!" I dropped my bag, instantly hugging Flo who held out a piece of Pizza in my face. "When did you have time to plan this?"

"Well pizza and a shittily drawn sign was not too much to put together," Zendaya spoke, walking over to us. "Plus you missed the first two weeks of school and hopefully this will make up for the amount of work you will have to do."

I groaned, "Don't remind me." 

"Come on." Lizzie pulled me over to a table, "We got alcohol."

_

An: Ahhhh! Sooo Chris Pratt is her ex!! I wanted someone to be the villain in the story and I love Chris Hemsworth way too much. Chris Pratt is problematic, so it works out! lol. 

Also, THE THOR LOVE AND THUNDER TRAILER?!?! OMG I'M OBSESSED. 

VALKYRIE IN A SUIT

THOR'S OUTFIT. 

THE BLUE HAIRED GIRL

AND LADY THOR. 

I have so many questions omg. 

PLUS, mom comes out in 17 days!! There's just so much happening I'm so ready for it. 

Again, thank you for reading!! Don't forget to leave a comment and vote!!