twenty-seven

I sat in the bare apartment, looking at the even higher view. Chris's promotion landed a high-rise penthouse, the view of the empire state building seemingly so close. The space was empty, the movers still hadn't brought the boxes; they'd be here later. Yet as I glanced around, studying the room, my body felt as empty as the condo. 

Chris had dropped me off, claiming he had some work at the office which I didn't mind. I just wanted to be alone. All of the sudden, I had no idea where my life had come to. One moment I was lying in bed with Tom, ignoring the raunchy texts from Flo and Bobby winning my attention at the end of the bed. And now as I leaned against the cold window seal all I wanted was to run back to campus and beg for everyone's forgiveness. 

"Mrs. Pratt," The door opened, shaking me out of my own head. And in turn, I shook my head, "It's Miss Johnson. We're not married." His eyes widened, "I'm so sorry. Was just wondering where to set these boxes."  I gestured to the master bedroom, "Through there, anywhere but the middle since the furniture hasn't been set up yet." He nodded, walking away as the team of movers worked on unpacking the truck. 

I sauntered into the bathroom, staring at myself in the mirror. Heavy makeup and concealer covered the dark bruises and gashes that I refused to acknowledge. My chest felt empty, my eyes looking just as hollow. Even moving into this amazing apartment I felt nothing but sorrow and anxiety for the days to come. Chris was only getting worse, as was my motivation. I truly had nothing. Shaking my head, I knew what I had to do. 

Running into the kitchen, I grabbed my phone, not even caring to snatch my wallet or purse. Ignoring the shouts and yells from the movers, I jumped in the elevator, knowing I couldn't run down 40 flights of stairs. I'd end up giving up before I had even started. 

Making my way out of the lobby and into the bussing streets, I ran; my feet carrying me as my hair blew through the wind like a thousand pieces of string torn; whipping without regret. 

I huffed with every pump of my arms, not caring about the many eyes staring at me as I sprinted down the pavement. I couldn't stop; I wouldn't let myself. I wasn't going to let the emptiness in my chest settle, I wouldn't let it win. I wouldn't let him win. 

"Viviana!!" I slowed my pace, stopping at the shout of my name. Turning back I saw Flo running up to me in a hurry. "Flo?" I murmured, my voice raspy from being out of breath. 

Without a word, her body crashed into mine- pulling me in for a hug. "I'm so sorry." I wrapped my arms around her, reciprocating her embrace. "I missed you so much." I could feel her smile against my shoulder, "You have no idea." We both pulled back, still holding each other's arms in a last attempt to hold on. 

"I've been meaning to drop by." She smiled, "But unfortunately this pushed it sooner." My brows creased in confusion, "What do you mean?" 

Flo tilted her head, "You didn't hear?"

I laughed nervously, gulping, "I haven't had much contact with the outside world lately, Flo." She closed her eyes, "Where do you think Chris is right now?"

Looking around at the streets surrounding us, I made a mental note of what he said this morning before he left. "He's at work. He had a big deadline due." She shook her head, pulling out her phone and placing it in my hand. 

My breath caught in my throat as I saw the picture that stood on the screen. A mugshot of Tom, his face bloodied and purple as he stood against a prison backdrop. "Oh my god..." I mumbled, swallowing the lump in my throat, "What happened?" Looking back up at Flo she gestured toward the direction she had come from, "Come on, he'll explain it better."

_

I walked through the police station doors, instantly being scanned and checked by a couple of officers. The place smelt like old bagels and stale coffee, my nostrils instantly burning at the old cigarette stench. "Name?"