Chapter 1

A/N I'm going to keep this note quick. Welcome to my new story! It's completed! This is not part of Destiny Untold. It is completely its own story. I would love your feedback! Mostly, I just hope everyone enjoys it. Without further ado...Let's get into it!

A soft ray of early morning sun filters through slightly parted blinds, casting shadows over smooth olive skin. A veil of sleep still hangs over her mind which she is reluctant to let go of. In that place between slumber and wakefulness, there is a quiet sort of peace. There are no thoughts, no issues, or responsibilities to stress her out just yet. There is only the comfort of her bed and the muffled sounds of traffic that serve as background music for the bustling city.

Sofia is simply enjoying the sensation of floating. There is zero rush to get up this morning. No demonstrations on contemporary cooking or testing on the art of modern entremets. Tomorrow she will be back in class enjoying the challenge of being a culinary student, but today, she has to do nothing but lay there until her need for food outweighs her desire to stay in bed.

With a contented sigh, she snuggles deeper into the mattress's embrace. At least she does until a slight shift in the air precedes the heavy thunk of a pillow hitting her over the head, pulling an annoyed groan out of her. Talk about a rude awakening.

"Don't uurrgh me! Come on! I'm in the middle of a crisis here. The least you can do is commiserate with me" Zoya whines and throws herself on the bed beside Sofia. Swatting the pillow that her friend had inconsiderately left laying on her head, she shifts so bleary hazel eyes can meet chocolate brown. Zoya doesn't even bother to look remorseful as Sofia glares before resigning herself to her fate and sitting up.

"Zo, your idea of a crisis, and my idea of a crisis tend to differ pretty drastically" Sofia deadpans. Zoya just rolls her eyes and slides out of bed, long Fulani braids swinging lightly as she moves.

"Babes, you signed up to be my friend, that means my crisis is your crisis. We deal with my fuckery together. Now, get your ass up! I have pancakes in the kitchen" Zo informs with an impish smile that accentuates the beauty mark over her upper lip.

"I will not be bribed with fluffy cakes covered in syrup!" Sofia calls out and hears Zoya laugh all the way from the kitchen in their shared apartment. The peaceful chill from minutes ago is gone but she can never stay truly upset with Zo.

Clumsily, she drags her sluggish body out of the still warm bed. "Shit!" she whispers and hurriedly shoves her feet into fluffy white house slippers to shield them from the cold of their tile flooring. The smell of pancakes is finally reaching her room and she quickly throws a soft robe over her sleep shorts and tank top; stomach making its need for sustenance very clear.

"What, pray tell, is the crisis I'm meant to be sympathizing over?" Sofia asks with mock indignation and takes a bite of pancake off of the fork Zoya is pointing her way. She moans at the buttery goodness before hopping onto one of the stools pulled up to the kitchen island.

"Commiserating" Zo corrects with a self-satisfied smile at Sofia's obvious enjoyment of the breakfast delight.

"That's not the point though. Professor Harris sent out an email like an hour ago. All final project deadlines have been moved up because the art gallery had to reschedule or some shit. What am I supposed to do?! You can't just rush art. My muse is none existent and I should probably just quit and go work at the park selling portraits for twenty bucks and painting kids' faces" Zoya dramatically whines, draping herself over Sofia.

"That...is really crappy actually. For once this is somewhere within the realm of a crisis. Look, you had already gotten a head start on it and you're brilliant Zo. Don't stress, just focus on bringing your vision to life. I'll take over your side of the chores so you can have as much time as possible to focus on it" she offers and pulls her friend into a comforting hug.

Zoya accepts and thanks whatever deities exist out there for the- unfortunate- dodge ball game first year of Junior High that lead to their friendship. After a few minutes, Zoya pulls away and drops the subject in favor of more lighthearted topics, like the philosophy major next door who was sitting in the hall last night asking anyone that passed if Harry Potter is just a western version of Naruto.

And if Zoya kept separating out the pancakes with the most chocolate chips and piling them onto Sofia's plate well...that is just a coincidence. Sentimentality? Pfft, never heard of her. Sofia obviously realizes it but knows her friend doesn't do mushy emotions well and this is her way of showing how much she appreciates the brunette being there for her.

They both finish eating and go their separate way to get the day started. Despite the less than pleasant awakening, the morning has been nice and Sofia decides to take a long hot bath. Her stash of bath bombs has been sitting there neglected. When she slips into the tub, it is to the scent of lavender and chamomile filling the room and loosening her tense muscles from hours of standing and cooking during the recent stagiaire she just completed the previous day.

At some point, she must have started dozing off because a shrill ring startles her so much that she jumps and slides down beneath the surface. Spluttering, she sits up and coughs out the water she had inhaled.

She finally registers that the ringing is coming from her phone. Wiping her eyes, she blindly rubs her free hand dry and reaches over to pick it up from where it is placed on the counter next to the tub. Without checking who it is, Sofia swipes to answer the call.

"Hey! Took you long enough Fifi. Thought you weren't gonna pick up for a moment there. You keep missing my calls and I'll have to jump on a plane just to talk to you" Lara teases and Sofia rolls her eyes fondly. It has been months since she could visit her older sister down in South Carolina and she misses her like crazy.

"You know I hate it when you call me Fifi!" she complains halfheartedly but it merely serves to make Lara cackle. She always did get way too much joy out of irritating the younger woman.

"Consider it payback for forgetting your poor, lonely, old sister" the accompanied sniffle much too exaggerated to actually be real. Lara always did enjoy a little drama.

"Please. You are nowhere near any of those things. We're like two years apart and I doubt Mr. Fix It has let you get lonely" Sofia teases back and gets an indignant huff in reply that makes her smile.

"I am sorry though. Classes and the stagiaire have been kicking my butt. Now that one of those is done with, I'll have a little more free time" she apologizes and sincerely means it. She hates not being able to keep up with Lara or their mother as much as she would like to. At least the two of them have each other down there.

"Alright alright, I get it. I'm not totally unreasonable. We just...worry, you know? I just want to know you are happy and doing okay Fi. I know you have Zoya but still."

"I know and I am happy. It all just piles up sometimes but I'm really okay. Now, your call nearly drowned me so hopefully, you have something more to share. Gotta make it worth my time if I'm obligated to talk to you" she jokes and Lara snipes back. The banter is familiar and nice. She can almost imagine herself back home, on her mother's porch, as they annoy each other while mom gives them tender exasperated looks.

Somewhere during the conversation, Sofia climbs out of the now cold bath and dries off before putting on some leggings, Doc Martens, and an oversize t-shirt. The hair drier would drown out Lara's voice so she leaves her short chocolate brown shaggy hair to air dry. They are just hanging up when Sofia grabs her keys and jacket so she can head out.