Chapter 2

There is something beautiful about getting lost within the crowded streets of NYC. It can be overwhelming at times after spending her entire childhood down South. There are days that she misses nature and the tranquility that comes with it. Still, she had needed this. Needed to move away and learn how to stand on her own two feet. New York is where she found herself and her independence. For that alone, the city will forever have a place in her heart.

When the sun begins to set, a text from Zoya changes her plans for the night. That is how she finds herself walking into a packed bar. The mixed beauty stands and waves her over to where their group is seated towards the back.

"Finally! Thought you were gonna leave me alone with this pack of bitches" Cillian calls out when he sees Sofia from his seat across from Zoya, bright red hair pulled into a top knot. The quip earns him a playful smack on the arm from his boyfriend Sai.

"What a warm welcome! You can definitely sleep on our couch if Sai kicks your ass out" Sofia teases and slides into the empty chair.

"Speak for yourself. In case you missed it, the idiot included me in there" Zoya retorts but she is barely holding back a smile as Cillian pouts and rubs his arm.

"Stop being such a baby. It was barely a tap and I know you have a higher pain tolerance than that" Sai deadpans then innocently sips on his drink. Cillian's fair Irish skin does nothing to hide the blush creeping up his neck while the girls laugh at his expense.

"I don't even know why I'm friends with any of you" he grumbles but there is too much affection in his expressive green eyes to really hold any kind of sting.

"We are all very sorry for being meanies to you. Anyways, what's everyone having?" Sofia changes the subject, taking her jacket off and draping it over the back of her chair. They had all been so busy and stressed between classes and work that they hadn't hung out in a few weeks. Drinks with their little crew is the best way she could imagine ending such a stress-free day.

By the end of the night, the two roommates were giggling and leaning on each other as they stumbled towards their apartment and nearly bulldoze over philosophy dude who is back t sitting in the hallway. They chuck their shoes off at the entrance and crash in Zoya's room since it is the closest to the front door. Sofia distantly registers a slurred 'goodnight' before floating into the realm of Hypnos for some much-needed sleep.

In the morning, she wakes up cursing the sun for daring to shine through the open window. Squinting, she spots a glass of water next to some aspirin and a note. The brunette knocks back the pills and gratefully chugs down the water. Skimming the note reveals Zoya has gone to work on her art project.

Sofia grunts and heaves her body up and shuffles towards the shower. She never drank much but they had all gotten a little carried away. Despite her desire to wither up and die, standing under the spray works wonders. The lingering mental fog slowly dissipates until she can function enough to wash up and finish her morning routine.

Going through possibilities for her last free day before going back to the grind tomorrow, Sofia decides to do some cooking. She had only been able to do it for school or work and she is eager to play around for her own enjoyment and experimentation.

A change of clothes and brisk jog later, she is at the market grabbing up random ingredients to see how they can be thrown together to create something new. The pounding headache from earlier is just a dull ache and does nothing to take away from her brightening mood.

Cooking is like meditation for the culinary student. She taps into a different plane of existence that is dominated by scents and taste. Putting flavors together is almost instinctive. The recipes don't always work but she comes out having learned something new every time.

Sofia had just put the braising pan into the oven when her phone goes off signaling a video call. She stretches across the island to see who it is and breaks out into a grin when she reads the name. The brunette swipes it up and presses the button to accept and waits for the face she knows so well to pop up.

"Hello, Yéyé! How are you?" she greets her grandpa Huan warmly. His age is starting to show in the crinkles around his eyes and the graying of his sleek black hair but he is still her beloved yéyé.

"You know me Fia, I am always doing well. You can't keep a good man down" he replies and Sofia rolls her eyes fondly. Grandpa had always been the same. Hard-working and strict but wise, loving, and patient. He is the entire reason she had discovered her deep love of food.

"Taking breaks and relaxing doesn't count as being down" she counters with a cheeky smile and he tuts, waving the comment away. Being idle has never come naturally to him.

"And to think an old man just wanted to call his favorite granddaughter to see how she is doing. Tsk tsk. Nobody respects their elders anymore" he sighs exaggeratedly and Sofia laughs which makes his eyes brighten at the sound.

"My deepest apologies honorable grandfather. I will strive to do better. How is the bakery doing?" she inquires while absentmindedly setting the oven timer and leaving the kitchen to get comfortable on the couch.

"Good good...but it will be much better once you come to take over. Yes, yes. I know your expertise is not baking but I know you are meant to turn this old girl into something more. Either way, that was not the purpose of this call. I wanted to know what your plans are for your time off."

"Hmm, well I hadn't thought about it yet. I know I want to go see mom and Lara. Maybe we can all meet up down there? We miss you bunches yéyé" Sofia suggests hopefully. Instead of answering right away, he takes a moment as if deliberating. Grandpa Huan must come to some conclusion before he nods to himself.

"I will speak to Gwen so she can make plans with you and Lara. Your mother has always been better at organizing that sort of thing. If I can not travel there then the option for you girls to come here is always open" he offers kindly and Sofia wishes more than anything that she could hug the closest thing to a father figure she has ever had.

"Definitely. It's been way too long. Since we got that business out of the way, how about you feel me in on the local gossip?" she asks with a shameless smile and Huan throws his head back to let out a loud laugh before launching into a colorful story involving tough bikers and some sneaky objects hidden in cupcakes.