Chapter 22

The urge to cook something other than a quick thrown together meal had been growing the longer Sofia had been in Nosti Valley. She had been dedicating so much time to practicing her baking and pastry skills that she had been neglecting her love of cooking. With Zoya still asleep, making a nice breakfast for them presents a perfect opportunity.

It's a matter of minutes to assess the ingredients available and come up with a delicious idea. The inspiration comes from a blend of dishes Sofia loved from two different diners in NYC. Sofia goes about getting everything prepped to make rosti with sliced smoked salmon, poached eggs, and a hollandaise sauce.

It is almost therapeutic to clear her mind and go through the familiar motions. Potatoes get boiled then peeled and grated coarsely before squeezing as much moisture out as possible and mixing them with horseradish, salt, pepper, and a little cayenne because Sofia enjoys the little extra kick. The next step is to form them into individual patties and coat them with flour, setting them aside while the rest of the steps get done.

Ringing water up to a boil, Sofia adds some kosher salt and a splash of white vinegar to poach the eggs. Meanwhile, she heats up a pan with butter and starts pan-frying the rosti until golden brown and crispy. Multitasking like a pro, Sofia makes a silky smooth hollandaise. The last step before assembling the dish is to thinly slice up some smoked salmon.

On individual plates, the rosti go down first, topped with shingled slices of the smoked salmon then the poached eggs, and finally the hollandaise. A sprinkle of paprika and a garnish of chopped chives serve as the final touch. Just in time since Zoya walks into the kitchen yawning just as the chives are being added.

"Mmm! Whatever it is, it smells good! I really have missed you but bruh, I've missed your food even more" Zoya mumbles as she stuffs a piece of spare rosti in her mouth and groans. "I feel so loved" Sofia jokes and places Zoya's plate down on the small breakfast table just beside the kitchen.

"Hey, I said I had missed you too! I also happen to have a healthy appreciation for good home cooking. Give me a break! I've been sustaining myself on reheated coffee and McDonald's in between manic creative sprees since you left. I'm lucky to be alive!" Zoya gestures with her fork and Sofia concedes "alright, I get it. I'll let it slide this time."

"What do you got goin on today anyway?" Zoya asks between bites and Sofia takes a moment to think while sipping on her coffee. "I have to go do some back-of-the-house stuff at the bakery. Ordering stock and stuff. Wanna come with? We can get some lunch after and I can show you around town."

"I'm down. Are you changing anything about Lola's? Maybe a little redecorating. I'm so up for doing some artwork if you want. Without changing too much, of course" Zoya reaches over and quickly squeezes Sofia's hand who smiles sadly to let her best friend know that she was not offended by the suggestion. There are so many memories in that place that she is tempted to never touch or change anything but her grandpa wouldn't have wanted Lola's to become some shrine or a time capsule.

"Maybe adding something would be nice. I want to keep the heart and soul of the bakery intact while also adding my spin to it. Merging old and new. Why not do it with the décor too? Besides, you gotta earn your keep somehow" Sofia jokes and Zoya throws a bunched-up piece of napkin at her in retaliation.

Walking through the bakery later on with Zoya is an interesting experience. Sofia puts herself in the mindset of someone seeing Lola's for the first time. It has a tranquil comforting feel to it with a lot of softwood and greenery peppered throughout. It is minimalist but not modern and Sofia loves it but she can also see where updates are necessary.