Chapter 4- Full Cassius POV

The night is cool and it soothes his feverish skin. He focuses on the sounds of the vehicles driving by or cats meowing in an alley. It halts his inner turmoil and allows Cassius a small reprieve. He is so zoned out that a voice speaking up startles him and he fights the instinct to attack. An ancient being getting caught off guard by a simple sound, he really does need to get his shit together.

"You are going to walk straight into a pole spacing out like that son," the voice says and Cassius' eyes take in his surroundings, registering exactly where he ended up. In front of Lola's bakery, named after the owners' late wife.

"Just one of those kinds of nights Mr. Lin. You understand how it is" he replies lightly but the older man's sharp eyes know a troubled soul when they see one. He had arrived extra early at the bakery to prep a special order when he had spotted the coven head he has known for years.

"Indeed I do. Come on in. Indulge an old man by taste-testing my latest experiment. I've been trying to make a cookie that tastes like maple bacon" Huan motions him in and Cassius goes along. Mr. Huan Lin had been a friend of the coven for many years and Cass had been coming to the bakery since it had opened. There was something steady about the man like nothing ever threw him off. Cassius can admire that trait on a man so young compared to his own lengthy life. Huan isn't a vampire but had been Lola's Destined, who had been a part of their coven.

"You'll never see me turning down anything you make. I'm a fool, not stupid" he jokes and hops onto a stool in the back kitchen. Huan laughs and slides a plate with three cookies over. Cassius takes a bite then just dead stares at the man who has the fucking audacity to make things this good.

Huan just grins and pushes a glass of milk his way before sitting down himself. "Now, do you want to tell me what really has you all twisted up?" he asks, gently, kindly, the way he does everything. Cassius, for his part, had always found it hard to not be honest with Huan. Cassius and Ezra had often ended up in the bakery when they wanted a little time away from the coven.

Cassius sighs, knowing it is useless to pretend. "Just coven business. Something is stirring. We don't really know from where but it seems like our peace treaty with the hunters may be put to the test soon. The coven is my top priority, you know that. But...I need SOMETHING. I just have no fucking clue what is missing. I should not be focusing on that when danger might be on our doorstep. They come first, always."

Huan listens patiently. He does not reply right away. That is something Cassius had grown to appreciate about the man. He never spoke without carefully turning an issue over. That is why when Huan speaks, you consider his words.

"I feel it as well, the trouble that is coming. I have been a friend to the Moreau coven through good and bad so the signs are hard to miss. When turmoil arises, we all need an anchor. Perhaps, that is what you are missing.

"Feeling lost is a universal experience everyone goes through. Perhaps more so when you have lived through millenniums. I am certain you will come across the thing or person that will anchor you through it. You will know when you meet them. When that time comes, hold on with both hands. Rely on those you trust and, above all else, stay true to yourself."

There is a tinge of sadness and regret in the older man's words that make Cassius sure he is speaking from experience. They sit in silence, comfortable in each other's company. Cassius mulls over the advice while Huan gets started on his day's work. Mental exhaustion starts catching up with him and finally makes it impossible to keep overthinking.

Huan notices and, with an indulgent smile, leads Cassius to the couch in the office adjacent to the kitchen. Cassius barely stays awake long enough to thank the man, remove his boots, and flop onto the plush couch before knocking out for some much-needed rest.