Chapter 23- Full Cassius POV

The sun beats down on the desert sand at high noon. Cassius, Ezra, and Gunner stand beside the dark SUV they had driven out to the safe house kept as neutral ground for meetings. The trio awaits the arrival of the head of the Hunter Association and his second in command. The house sits well taken care of for such instances and Cassius had taken the time to inspect it when they first arrived to make sure everything was in order before heading back outside to wait.

A familiar Jeep Wrangler approaches and the men straighten up. It parks a short distance from them and the two men step out, approaching them with stern faces and confident strides. Artorian- head of the HA- is an imposing man. He stands at six and a half feet with deep tan skin, a shaved head, and a physique built like a tank. His second- Lachlan- is only slightly shorter but possesses a leaner frame and a head of pitch-black hair that is graying at the temples.

They stop just a few feet away and the two sides eye each other off silently. Gunner shifts slightly from foot to foot. Vampires and hunters have a long and complicated history. The tension boils like the desert sun until it finally breaks. Artorian lets a slow smile take over his face showing off his blindingly white teeth "Cassius, my man! It's been too long brother" he greets and steps forward, clasping Cassius' forearm and patting his shoulder.

"It has been Art. I just wish we were meeting for drinks instead but what can you do" Is his easy reply and Artorian nods in agreement.

"Took you long enough you big bald bastard! Had us out here inhaling the whole fuckin desert. What took so damn long? It sure as hell wasn't braiding your hair" Gunner hollers, stepping forward.

"You're one to talk you giant ginger Sasquatch lookin' mutha fucka. Some of us gotta drive like we give a shit about keeping our organs intact" Artorian shoots back and the two men hug, patting each other's back roughly and instantly going into their usual banter that sounds more like bickering.

"They never change" Lachlan laments but there is amusement in his eyes and the quirk of his lips. "You have to applaud their consistency if nothing else" Cassius jokes and the two men clasp forearms, Ezra following suit. "Children! Maybe we can head inside and get this meeting started? There will be time to paint each other's nails after" Ezra breaks up the impromptu wrestling match.

Lachlan and Cassius share a fondly exasperated look and Lachlan shakes his head as Gunner and Art shake themselves off. The moment the group steps through the doorway into the safe house, the entire mood shifts. The jovial easiness from before is swapped for a serious atmosphere. It is all official business from that point on. The situation they are there to discuss is no laughing matter and they are giving it the weight and respect it deserves.

The meeting room is spacious with high ceilings and little to no décor or furnishings. In the middle sits a hand-carved wood table that can accommodate up to thirty people with chairs placed in their designated spots. Besides that, there is a refreshment bar kept stocked by the people assigned to upkeep the house. Everyone finds their seat on opposite sides and Ezra, as the agreed-upon mediator, sits at the head. It is meant to denote his impartial position during these proceedings.

"Welcome gentlemen. We are here to keep the peace that has long been established through the treaty of 1926. The treaty is being threatened by recent actions. This meeting was called by the Primordial Cassius Moreau in hopes of salvaging it. Cassius, you have the floor first." Ezra opens up the discussions, getting to the point.

They had discussed it at length and highly doubt Art and Lachlan have anything to do with the rogues nor would they have condoned their actions. Procedure is necessary though. If nothing else, they could have helpful information. Everything else aside, the hunters and vampires had come to have a friendship of sorts. Things were rough right after the treaty was signed but they now have a harmonious working relationship with hunters leaving vampires alone as long as they do not break the terms of the agreement.

"Thank you, Ezra. I do not think I have to state how much chaos would follow the dissolution of the treaty if that were to happen. I trust that neither side wishes for that to happen. I do not want to put anyone in danger if these actions are not backed by the association. In the spirit of brotherhood, we sent encrypted files regarding the crimes against our people that have been committed and hope you took the time to thoroughly look them over. I believe there is a peaceful outcome to be reached today. If the Hunter's Association denounces the activity of these few, I propose on behalf of my people that we form a united front against them."

"You now have the floor" Ezra addresses Artorian once Cassius is done speaking.

"I want to start off by saying on behalf of me and mine, we in no way condone the actions of these rogues. We stand by your coven and would like to give a formal apology for allowing this to escalate the way it has," Art pauses and looks towards Lachlan. The other man nods and pulls a file out of the messenger bag he is carrying. The file is handed to Ezra who then slides it over to Cassius.

As Cassius opens it and starts flipping through the pages and photos, tipping it so Gunner can see it as well, Artorian continues, "The man you mentioned, Ian Gregor, was the head of one of our hunter factions out of the West coast. Two years ago, he was stripped of his position and banned from the association after an investigation revealed he and his faction had repeatedly broken treaty rules.

"The man instilled his hateful rhetoric in the hunters in his faction. It was disbanded and the members were punished. The entire group went underground and we had been unable to track them down until they popped up in Nosti Valley. They do not represent us and, frankly, I'm fuckin pissed at the shit they're pulling. It gives us a bad name and jeopardizes everything we have worked for. These men are trained and dangerous extremists. We're gonna have to be cautious and smart when dealing with them."

Cassius gently closes the file and takes a moment to gather his thoughts before looking around, meeting each pair of eyes. "My friends, it looks like we have a lot of planning to do."