Chapter 8

"-m so sorry miss..."

Sofia feels as if her world has suddenly shattered. She had barely even acknowledged the doctor's condolences after delivering the news of her grandfather passing away. In that moment, she ceased to hear anything else. A dense fog covered everything and she barely registered the silent tears streaking down her face.

How could this happen? She couldn't believe it, can't bring herself to accept it. Her yéyé, the most important man in her life who played a giant role in helping her become the person she is. The world needs good men like him, she needs him. Her hands shake and a part of her is making Sofia search out her phone but strong hands anchor her and she gives up.

She vaguely hears the conversation between Cassius and her mother and Sofia would feel guilty for not delivering the news herself if she could currently form full complete thoughts. She feels like she is falling apart. She is asked questions and prodded into signing papers that she doesn't even read. Cassius remains by her side every step of the way and gently instructs her on what to do.

When she can think again, she will struggle between feeling grateful for the help yet irritated and disappointed with herself for falling apart the way she has. For now, she simply follows the soothing commanding voice and hopes something will numb the pain soon because she doesn't know where to go from here without her beloved yéyé there as a constant source of love and support.

Sofia can't be sure how it happened or where she ended up. What she does know is by the time the sun is beginning to rise, she is getting laid down on a plush bed. It definitely is not her grandfather's place but she is too mentally, physically, and emotionally drained to care. Instead, she sinks into the mattress with a desperate plea for sleep to overcome her so she can have a few hours of blissful ignorance before she has to face the harsh reality of having lost someone so incredibly dear to her.

Waking up in an unknown place is incredibly disorienting. For a few minutes, Sofia lays there taking the room in. It is warm and inviting but possibly the size of at least half of her apartment, if not more. The four-poster bed she slept in has a canopy with hanging drapes that can block out the sun although they had been left open. The room is decorated in earthy colors. Cream, sage, and rich browns with heavy dark wood furnishings and a stone fireplace.

While attempting to piece together whose place this could be, everything comes back to her. Sofia's eyes instantly fill with tears and she bites the inside of her cheeks to keep them from falling. Her hand comes up to her mouth as if keeping any sounds of grief inside could keep her from bursting and breaking. Letting out a shaky breath around the lump in her throat, Sofia sits up, crawling to the edge of the massive bed so she can slide out.

On a chair close to the bedside, there are clothes that she can only assume are meant for her. Sofia had her travel bag in the rental car but if Cassius had brought her in his own care then the rental is likely still sitting in the hospital parking lot. Her eyes flicker to one of the doors and she opens it to find a spacious bathroom and realizes how heavenly a shower sounds after the last 24 hours.

Looking the clothes over, she is relieved to see they are comfy. Just leggings and a t-shirt. She feels a little embarrassed when she sees that whoever set them out even left a sports bra and underwear. Putting that aside, she takes them with her to the bathroom. Standing beneath the spray of hot water is soothing and she feels herself going numb and, in some ways, it is a welcome respite from the emotions threatening to overwhelm her.

If she could remain there and pretend all is still right then she absolutely would. Unfortunately, that is not an option s she finishes her shower, dries off, and gets dressed. As far as she knows, no one has come around to check on her so she quietly leaves the room. Sofia looks around but there is nobody around so she tentatively picks a direction and begins walking.