Chapter 7- Full Cassius POV

For the last hour, Cassius has stood outside of the hospital room watching over Sofia while she sits with her grandfather. His instincts are demanding that he get closer and it takes all of his willpower to resist.

His eyes close and he inhales, taking in her intoxicating scent. She smells like jasmine, amber, and something distinctly Sofia. Warm, sweet, seductive. Just that has him fighting down a needy growl, his body responding to the closeness of his Destined. To think it had been her all along and yet he had not known since she had not turned eighteen when they last had any contact.

Cassius tries to push away the images of ravishing the beauty, sinking his fangs into her elegant neck, picking her up to feel those beautiful legs wrap around him. His manhood so close to her center, begging to bury itself inside her, Claim her, mark her.

The vampire grinds his teeth and opens his eyes, wrestling back control and hoping his eyes aren't flashing. This is not the time nor the place for that. Not when she is going through so much and Cassius should be focused on finding out what truly happened to Mr. Lin. He has to push away the joy and lust and want that hit him like a freight train when the little vixen got out of her car.

He had been ready to lay into whoever had almost rammed into him after how fucked the day had been but was stopped dead in his tracks. Every part of his being screamed MINE, the thought echoing through his head over and over while his soul felt electrified. She had been frantic, short hair slightly disheveled, clothes wrinkled, and he had never seen anyone more beautiful than she was in that moment.

The conflicted feeling when he recognized his Destined as Sofia Lin had nearly torn him apart. The last time he had seen her, she had yet to reach the age when their bond would reveal itself to him. He remembered feeling protective of the girl but chucked it up to her being Lola and Huan's granddaughter. He had never forgotten the hazel-eyed girl and regrets not forming their connection sooner.

The rush of finding her was tamped down by the knowledge of what brought her to Nosti Valley, to begin with. Getting the call that Huan had collapsed at the bakery and been rushed to the hospital had unsettled them. Cassius, his childe Hiari, and Amir had all gone straight there while Ezra looked after the coven.

He hopes more than anything that the man makes a full recovery. For all of them but especially for Sofia who obviously adores the man. Unfortunately, Cassius can smell sickness on him that had not been there a couple of days ago. Something nefarious is involved and he does not think it is a coincidence that it happened to a friend of the coven. Whatever happened to him wasn't natural.

"You gonna keep staring at the pretty thing all night?" Amir leans up against him and asks, lips turning up into a smug grin.

"Fuck you" Cassius growls, not bothering to even look at the Commander.

"I doubt I'm the one you wanna be fuckin" he shoots back and Cass flips him off which only amuses the bastard more.

"Peace, peace. I know that look. It's easy to spot a vampire who has found their Destined from a mile away. You have to be smart about this though. You are my leader and I love you like a brother, but Sofia doesn't know our secret and she'll be dealing with family shit. Don't overwhelm her. You will have to introduce her to our world slowly." Amir switches into serious mode and Cassius knows the man has a point.

"I'm not a complete jackass. I will make sure to do this right. Did you get word out to Dr. Fell?" Cassius changes the subject but Amir knows it's not that his words are being dismissed. The Primordial just takes information in and compartmentalizes it. Finding out what is really wrong with Mr. Lin is more time-sensitive.

"She will be here within the hour. Doc has an in but will need to wait for shift change so she can be in and out without anyone noticing anything" he reports and Cassius nods, eyes still glued to Sofia who is sitting in a plastic chair, head resting on the bed. Her eyes are closed and her breathing is deep and even. His hands twitch with the urge to pick her up and take her to bed.

"You sorry bastard" Amira laughs and nimbly dodges the swipe of Cass' hand, saluting as he walks down the hallway, leaving him on his own again.

It isn't long before Dr. Fell arrives. She nods respectfully towards him and wastes no time. Just as she knocks on the door and Sofia greets her, Cassius senses the change. He only has a split second before monitors start going off. In that brief span of time, he strides over and is able to grab his Destined and usher her out. She struggles against his grip, trying to get back into the hospital room.

"Sofia, stop! I know you want to be there but you need to let the professionals do their job" he keeps his voice gentle but firm. It seems to get through to her because she slumps in his hold. "I need him to be okay" she chokes out, so quietly that a human would not have picked up on it.

Cassius takes them over to the waiting area and does not let her go nor does she try to move away. While silently comforting the tense woman in his arms, he keeps an ear out. Listening to what is happening in Huan's room. The constant shrill beep that indicates he has flatlined is haunting. Cassius closes his eyes and braces for the news his little Destined is about to receive.

His own grief, more potent than he had expected, will need to be pushed aside so he can be whatever kind of support Sofia will need. Still, his heart shatters for one of the best men Cassius had ever had the pleasure of meeting in his millenniums. The man deserved better and Cass vows to himself to find whoever did this and burn their world to the ground. It can not go unpunished.