Reading Chapter 3: The Letters From No One

The escape of the boa-constructor earned both Maddie and Harry their longest ever punishment. As the Dursleys assumed Maddie was the person most responsible she was only allowed out of her again until the summer holidays.

"Bloody hell, that's a long time," Ron commented as others nodded along with him.

"That's totally unfair Mom," Nico II growled as Luna rubbed her moms back and Lily comforted her Uncle Harry who was staring gloomily at his shoes.

Harry had told her how Dudley had already broken his new cine-camera, crashed his remote control aeroplane and, first time on his racing bike, knocking down old Mrs Figg as she crossed Privet Drive on her crutches.

James glared at the book, "What a prat."

"That's what we thought," Harry replied grimly.

Artemis watched on in despair, "How could I leave my child in this position? I should've taken her straight to Camp Half-Blood!"

"Where?" All the magical children (besides Cedric, Ron, Hermione and the Potter-Jacksons) chorused. The demigods exchanged nervous glances among each other but opted to stay quiet.

Thankfully, Athena saved the situation by continuing to read on.

Maddie was glad that school was over but there was no escaping Dudley's gang who visited the house every day. Piers, Dennis (who appeared to have quite the crush on Maddie), Malcolm and Gordon were all big and stupid but Dudley was the biggest and stupidest of the lot.

Annabeth scoffed, "I am most willing to bet that none of them are my siblings"

"Course we all know you'd win that bet Beth!" Connor yelled over at her.

Athena huffed but said nothing.

The rest of them were all quite happy to join in with Dudley's favourite sport: Potter Hunting

Molly winced and walked over to Maddie and Harry, engulfing them in a huge hug. "We'll make them sorry.... One day"

"Thanks Molls," Maddie murmured.

That's why Maddie and Harry spent most of their time outside the house, wandering around, having picnics and thinking about that tiny ray of hope deep inside them. When September came around Maddie would be sent off to her 'special' school as the Dursleys called it and Harry would be sent to Smeltings, the ugly and squat local comprehensive.
Dudley found it very funny that she and Harry were going to separate schools and had decided that Harry going to the local comprehensive school was even funnier.

"Hey, Girl-Potter!" He cackled, "I heard that at your new school they dunk new peoples' heads in the toilets, let's practice now"

"No thanks Dudley," She mumbled "The poor toilets never had anything as horrible as your head in it - it might be sick."

Everyone laughed, James II wiped tears away from his eyes at exactly the same moment as Percy. They stared at each other before bursting into a much harder fit of laughing, going on long after everyone else had stopped

Then she ran, before Dudley could work out what she'd said.

One day in July, Aunt Petunia took Dudley and Harry to London to buy their Smeltings uniforms, leaving Maddie at Mrs. Figg's. Mrs. Figg wasn't as bad as usual. It turned out she'd broken her leg tripping over one of her cats, and she didn't seem quite as fond of them as before. She let Maddie watch television and gave her a bit of chocolate cake that tasted as though she'd had it for several years.

Remus looked scandalized.

That evening, Dudley paraded around the living room for the family in his brand-new uniform. Smeltings' boys wore maroon tailcoats, orange knickerbockers, and flat straw hats called boaters.