Reading Chapter 6: The Journey From Platform Nine And Three-Quarters

(*Edited*) 

Maddie's last month with the Dursleys wasn't fun.

The Weasley twins and the Stolls snorted. "When is it ever?"

True, Dudley was now so scared of Maddie he wouldn't stay in the same room, while Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon didn't shut Maddie nor Harry in their cupboard,

Cedric, Artemis and Percy all growled.

force them to do anything, or shout at them — in fact, they didn't speak to either Potter at all.

"That's a plus, right?" Grover asked. Maddie and Harry both shrugged.

Half terrified, half furious, they acted as though any chair with Maddie or Harry in it were empty.

Although this was an improvement in many ways, it did become a bit depressing after a while.

"That does seem like it would be lonely." Athena muttered. Everyone nodded.

Maddie and Harry kept to their room, with Maddie's new owl and Harry's new cat for company.

"At least you had your pets," Grover spoke. The two Potters nodded.

Maddie had decided to call her owl, Hedwig, a name she had found in A History of Magic.

"Traitor!!" The twins and Ron all yelled.

"Wait, don't you have dyslexia?" Hermione asked, "how did you read it before me and Ron, mainly me, could help you?"

"Harry helped me." Maddie answered. "He would always help me read for my summer homework for Hogwarts. He'd also help me write things down, since sometimes I'd accidentally write in ancient Greek."

Her school books were very interesting. Even though she has dyslexia, she could read some of it. Harry even helped her read a bit.

She lay on her bed reading late into the night, Hedwig swooping in and out of the open window as she pleased and Lucy the cat even made it outside of the room and once even peed on a pair of Uncle Vernon's socks.

"I knew I always liked that cat!" the twins all exclaimed.

It was lucky that Aunt Petunia didn't come in to vacuum anymore, because Hedwig kept bringing back dead mice. And sometimes, Lucy, Harry's cat would sneak in and out of the house, catching birds and sometimes eating the mice Hedwig would bring.

Every night before she went to sleep, Maddie ticked off another day on the piece of paper she had pinned to the wall, counting down to September the first.

"I did that too," Sirius told his goddaughter.

On the last day of August she thought she'd better speak to her aunt and uncle about getting to King's Cross station the next day,

"Good idea. Ask on the day before so they have less of a chance of saying no," Hermes smirked.

so she went down to the living room where they were watching a quiz show on television, while Harry sat in the other room, reading one of the books he got from Diagon Alley.

"It was a children's book about Merlin and Morgana," Harry said.

She cleared her throat to let them know he was there, and Dudley screamed and ran from the room.

The Weasley twins and the Stolls both snickered.

"Er — Uncle Vernon?"

Uncle Vernon grunted to show he was listening.