Reading Chapter 5: Diagon Alley

(*Edited*)

Maddie woke early the next morning. Although she could tell it was daylight, she kept her eyes shut tight.

"It was a dream," she told herself firmly. "I dreamed a giant called Hagrid came to tell me I was going to a school for wizards. When I open my eyes I'll be at home in my cupboard with Harry"

Everyone grumbled as they didn't like the idea of the Potters living in such a small space.

"Tis an outrage," the Weasley twins mocked.

There was suddenly a loud tapping noise.

And there's Aunt Petunia knocking on the door, Maddie thought, her heart sinking. But she still didn't open her eyes. It had been such a good dream.

"But it isn't!"

Tap. Tap. Tap.

"All right," Maddie mumbled, "I'm getting up."

She sat up (using Harry's back to prop herself up) and Hagrid's heavy coat fell off her. The hut was full of sunlight, the storm was over, Hagrid himself was asleep on the collapsed sofa, and there was an owl rapping its claw on the window, a newspaper held in its beak.

"Is it the Prophet?" Neville asked, though he looked very scared to say a word.

The Greeks all looked confused, "There is no prophet, only Demigods" Hera said.

"No, the Daily Prophet is a Wizarding Newspaper," Hermione explained.

Ares nodded, "Cool name."

Maddie scrambled to her feet, so happy she felt as though a large balloon was swelling inside her.

"I did that to someone in The Fields Of Punishment, not a pretty sight when they splattered around the floor," Hades admitted.

Ron squeaked and then turned bright red.

She went straight to the window and jerked it open. The owl swooped in and dropped the newspaper on top of Hagrid, who didn't wake up. The owl then fluttered onto the floor and began to attack Hagrid's coat.

Don't worry about that," said Hagrid, standing up and scratching his head. "D'yeh think yer parents didn't leave yeh anything?"

"But if their house was destroyed--"

"They didn' keep their gold in the house, girl! Nah, first stop fer us is Gringotts. Wizards' bank. Have a sausage, they're not bad cold -- an' I wouldn' say no teh a bit o' yer birthday cake, neither."

Tyson grinned, "Cake?"

Mrs. Weasley shook her head at the young Cyclops, "Later"

"Ok!"

"Wizards have banks ?"

"Just the one. Gringotts. Run by goblins."

Maddie dropped the bit of sausage she was holding on to Harry's head, waking him up.

"I knew I hadn't imagined that!" Harry protested.

"Goblins ?"

"Yeah -- so yeh'd be mad ter try an' rob it, I'll tell yeh that. Never mess with goblins, Harry. Gringotts is the safest place in the world fer anything yeh want ter keep safe -- 'cept maybe Hogwarts. As a matter o' fact, I gotta visit Gringotts anyway. Fer Dumbledore. Hogwarts business." Hagrid drew himself up proudly. "He usually gets me ter do important stuff fer him. Fetchin' you -- gettin' things from Gringotts -- knows he can trust me, see."