Chapter 2

Kyojuro sat on the cold floor for a while even after his father left. Until he had realized he had been there for too long and he stood up, heading back to the room.

"Y/n, can I come in?" he asked.

He had learned to ask for permission whenever he's going inside your bedchamber, because there was one time when he waltzed in while you were dressing. Both of you were young then, around the age of twelve, still Kyojuro was so flustered his face had turned red as he apologized for days even when you said it was fine.

"Yes, you can come in."

Kyojuro slid the door open and he saw you brushing your hair. From the moment you were born, your hair had always been the color of snow, white and enchanting.

There were times when Kyojuro thought it would glow under the reflection of the full moon. Your white hair really suits you, it was such a unique color that made you look so enthrallingly akin to a goddess.

"Did your father say something bad to you again?" you asked, turning around to face Kyojuro who had taken off his haori.

"No, it's not like that. Don't worry about it, Y/n. I've gotten used to his words."

"Still, words can hurt more than any swords." You watched as he sat down and you took his hand with yours again, his hand that always emits a certain kind of warmth. You hold it close and brush your fingers on his knuckles.

"Lie down here," you said, patting your lap and Kyojuro looked at it for a second before he looked back at you.

"I don't think..." he trailed off as you tilted your head.

You have always done this before, he would always lie on your lap while you massage his forehead and temple, and your hand is cold and light so it always helps him fall asleep faster.

Kyojuro didn't continue what he was going to say and instead lay down on your lap as your hand hovered above his face before your fingers started to trace patterns and he instinctively closed his eyes.

"I always pray for your safe return every time you leave the estate," you said, voice soft and dainty. "Because I'm always waiting here, Kyojuro."

Your voice started to dwindle as you hummed a familiar tune that Kyojuro remembered his mother would hum before. She had taught you this tune and when she passed on you would hum this lullaby to Kyojuro and his little brother, so in a sense they would feel like their mother is still with them, even if it's just her voice that they would hear.

Your voice is delicate like a dandelion and Kyojuro started to gradually fall asleep. Your voice is music to his ears, and before he can completely succumb to the clutches of slumber, Kyojuro hears you speaking.