Chapter 11

Kyojuro did not leave your side. It was as though he was making up for the days he was absent by your side. The coldness you felt for the past few days had instantly been replaced by his warmth and you could never be more thankful for his very existence alone.

He stayed by your side for the entirety of the day. And ever since he came back, no, ever since you found out you were carrying his child, everything after that felt like a dream.

A dream, you thought to yourself.

At the thought of a dream, you leaned back from having your head placed on Kyojuro's shoulder as you two sat on the veranda that night.

"Y/n," he called, feeling the absence of the weight on his shoulder when you moved your head back and straightened up. He turned to look at you.

"Ah, I just remembered something," you said before you felt Kyojuro's hand on the side of your head, urging you to place it back on his shoulder and you did, moving closer to him until you were comfortable enough.

"What is it?" he asked, his voice unusually serene, like a loud whisper.

"I remembered the dream I had last night."

"I'm listening," he said. He wants to hear what you dreamed about, you can almost hear the eagerness in his tone.

You felt yourself smiling and you snuggled closer to him. "In my dream, I was in a place surrounded by snow. It covers the land like a white blanket as far as my eyes can see. The snowfall was gentle and gradual, like the snowflakes were almost frozen in time."

You lifted your hand when you noticed the snow was beginning to fall and your eyes glistened at the snowfall akin to that in your dream. You moved your head back again and leaned forward a bit as the snowflakes fell on your palm.

"And when I lifted my hand, a glowing snowflake the size of a sesame seed landed on my palm. I stared at it until it burst into flames. The flame surrounded the small snowflake, dancing around it and the snowflake didn't melt. It was beautiful."

You closed your palm before you turned around to face Kyojuro, who was listening silently to you as you talked about your dream. But it was not just any other dream.

"I think I now know what kind of dream it was." A gentle smile grazed your lips and Kyojuro's eyes seemed to glimmer at the sight of you. "Mother once told me about it. She told me about her conception dream when she was pregnant with Senjuro."