Chapter 5

It's fascinating how time flows like a serene river, never missing a second and never stopping a beat. Winter lasted for a while. But before, when you used to feel like winter would last for long, this time it feels like winter has come and gone instantaneously.

Although spring has not yet touched the land, it is right around the corner. But the cold breeze brought by the thawing ice would howl once in a while.

The snowfall had ceased, and what was left of long nights of snow falling from the heavens are layers of white ice blanket that cover the land.

But the layers of snow are beginning to vanish. Before long, you thought, you'll finally be able to see the lush green surroundings along with the placid flow of the stream in the forest near the estate. You couldn't wait to finally go outside and breathe in the tranquil breeze of the spring morn.

Throughout the winter, you and Kyojuro had barely left each other's side. Aside from fulfilling your marital obligations, Kyojuro has made sure you stayed warm during the most crucial time of the year for you.

And that winter was the most unforgettable winter you had ever experienced in this life.

"I think it's the longest you had stayed in the estate," you muse while you and Kyojuro walk down the corridor. Your hand wrapped around his arm while you two trudged down the halls.

"Is it?" he asked. "Ah I didn't realize it's been that long. Things are somewhat peaceful compared to last year's winter."

And if winter has always been a crucial time for you, so does it for demon hunters. Since it's the time demons would prowl the land more. Winter nights are far longer than any other nights so they have a lot of time in their hands before the sun touches the land.

But this winter, there were not many reports of demons. And if there were, lower ranks are sent to missions. It means the demons are not strong enough for a Hashira to be sent out.

"I wish things like this would last longer," you said. "I know it's being selfish of me, but there are times when I want you all to myself. There are times when I want you to stay beside me and nowhere else."

"Y/n," Kyojuro started, stopping in his tracks and prompting you to do so as well.

He held your hand before unwrapping it around his arm as he moved to stand in front of you and cupped your face with his warm hands. "It's not being selfish of you to want your husband to always be by your side. Because I feel the same."

You smiled, the delicate smile that Kyojuro always found enthralling and beautiful. But there are certain times when he finds that smile a bit blue, as though you're in pain, as though you're in sorrow.