Chapter 10

When Senjuro saw you fainted, he immediately rushed to your side. The tears that were blurring his vision were quickly wiped as he stood up and headed to his father's study room. On any other occasion, Senjuro would have been too scared to go there, but he could care less about his fear as he called his father.

"Father! Father, it's Y/n-san," Senjuro said, panting as he caught his breath from running down the hallway. "Y/n-san fainted and—"

Senjuro was cut off when the sliding door slid open and he took a step back when his father's tall figure loomed in front of him.

"Where is she?" he asked and Senjuro composed himself before he started to walk down the hallway back to where you fainted, his father following behind closely. When they saw you on the floor, Shinjuro crouched down and carefully held you up.

"I...she was walking and suddenly she lost consciousness. I don't know what happened. But she seemed to be not feeling well when we were eating breakfast. Father, is Y/n-san sick? Is she going to—"

Die like mother was what Senjuro was about to say when his father held his shoulder a bit tightly as Senjuro grunted and closed his eyes tightly, the tears streaming down his face.

"Shut up and listen to me carefully," Shinjuro said, his voice firm but when he saw his son's hurt expression, he realized he was holding his shoulder a bit too tightly and he quickly loosened his hold before he continued. "Get the midwife. She's a middle-aged woman taking care of her elderly mother. They live three blocks away."

Senjuro nodded his head, wiping the tears as his father picked you up.

"I'll be taking her to their quarters. Go."

Senjuro did not even question why his father was telling him to get a midwife instead of a physician. He did not even think about it as he ran outside of their residence to get the midwife as fast as possible.

When Shinjuro placed you on the futon, you moved your head to the side, your eyebrows furrowing together before you slowly opened your eyes.

"Father...?" you muttered, unsure if it was really your father-in-law that you are seeing as your vision is still blurry. "Father, I..."

"Don't move," Shinjuro said, crouching down to your side. "Just lie there. The midwife will be here soon."

"What...?" you asked, leaning your head back before you get dizzy from moving too much. "Midwife?"

Shinjuro's eyes traveled down to your stomach, his eyes squinting a bit before he clicked his tongue. "That useless brat. He didn't even notice anything."