Day 6 [The Reason Why]

I never really get birthdays. I have celebrated in the past with my mentor but after his death, I never really thought about it.

I just think of it as a bother.

But finding out about her birthday, bothered me more.

The servants giggled in the corner as they planned about their gifts for the princess and the small rumor about giving her a huge surprise for the first time.

I still wonder how the princess hasn't found out about it when they are all so loud planning it.

The princess haven't had a birthday party before she moved to the Emerald Palace and the maids were so excited to give her one. That is one reason and the other one is...

She is always down whenever her birthday comes.

Well, everyone knows the reason why that is why they wanted to make her smile.

Of course, I didn't participate. It's just a hassle and I am only here because it's pretty convenient here, not helping the servants on preparing her birthday.

Well, that's what I thought of first.

Until I saw her one night after the party.

Yeah, she was surprised when she got greeted by the servants earlier and was happy to receive many gifts from them. She also sang and play with them. She had fun.

But when I checked up on her, the smile she had earlier was gone and was replaced by the sad look that she always shows on her every birthday.

And somehow I didn't like it.

"The heck is that look on your face?" I asked, teleporting myself in her room but was gentle enough to not scare her.

The princess was surprised and immediately hide her face. "N-Nothing!" She said as she covered herself with her blanket.

I huffed. I hate when people are like this.

I sat down beside her, my mind was blank. I don't know what to say but at least I have one question. "Is it about your dad?"

She flinched and slowly nodded.

She just said nothing a second ago. This is making my head ache. Really, make up your mind, princess.

"Do you want him on your birthday?" I asked again, earning another nod from her.

The memory of my mentor and I celebrating my birthday flashed in my mind, making me wince at the memory. Why do I have to remember that?

I sighed. "Well, I can see that your father really adores you but that doesn't mean that he is ready to take a step since your birthday is also..." I eyed her, pausing. "... Your mother's death..."

She took off the blanket and stared at me. She was pouting, which doesn't suit her. "I know that but..."

She paused as she felt me gently patting her head, her eyes widened in surprise. Yeah, relish this moment princess, I don't usually do this kind of thing.

"It won't take a while..." I muttered, frowning. I really hate that face she is making right now, it's pissing me off. Not of her face, but to the emperor.

"So please show your brightest smile like you used to..."

Silence.

Then I suddenly realized what I said. My eyes widened and I immediately covered her back in her blanket. I felt my cheeks suddenly burning, is his room always this hot?!

"Hey!!" The princess complained, trying to get out.

"D-Don't get out!!!" I yelled, panicking.

I let go of her as soon as I came out of the balcony. I closed the door to make a boundary between us but we could still see each other through the glass doors.

She suddenly laughed, which surprised me. Why did she laugh? Weird. Are princesses always like this? The heck...

But I don't hate it.

This was the smile that I'd been looking for all day.

I covered myself with my hood, a smile crept on my face. "Thank goodness..." I sighed in relief.

The door suddenly opened, the princess suddenly held me by the hand. I saw her smiling face again, she seemed to shine under the moonlight.

"It's cold, why did you run out?" She chuckled.

I could only look away, letting myself get pulled in. I just stared at her face in wonder and awe.

As long as she's smiling on her special day. There's nothing I wanted more.

That is the gift I could only give.

Is to make her keep that smile on her every birthday.

And there will be no birthday that she is crying. I won't let that happen.

---
Headcannon T~T
I always thought of why Lucas always visited on her birthday at night and I thought of this and it's so-
*cries in the corner*