𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 3

Chapter 3

"Mrs. Robustellis' assistant here, how may I help you?" came a proficient voice from the other end.

"Hello, Bernadette Peterson here. Mrs. Robustelli has been admitted here to Maryland hospital," I spoke.

"May I please know the address of the hospital, Miss Peterson," she requested.

I then informed her of the address and how I met Maria. After some time, I received a call from the same number.

"Miss. Peterson, I have already informed Mr. Robustelli, he is on his way to Ohio. Please stay by Mrs. Robustelli till he gets there," she said.

"Sure."

I have been sitting here for almost 2 hours now. Nick left for work an hour ago. I had to call in sick for the day. I was in no position to miss a day at work but I just could not leave Maria all by herself.

"Do we have anyone from the patient's family here?" Doctor Sofia said as soon as she stepped out of the emergency room.

"I am," I said as I stood up.

"What I could gather from Mrs. Robustelli's condition is that she may be going through the second stage of Lymphoma. There are swollen lymph nodes in her neck, underarms, and groin regions. She passed out due to fatigue. These are all the symptoms of Lymphoma. Rest we have to wait for the test reports to confirm."

"Is it severe, doctor? Will she be okay?" I asked.

"For that, we have to wait for the reports," she said.

"When can I meet her?"

"She will be up in an hour or so, then you may," she said and left.

After an hour, I walked into the room and sat on one of the two seats beside the hospital bed.

After a few minutes, she squinted her eyes open. She looked around the room and finally, her gaze settled on me. An instant look of recognition appeared on her face.

"Thank you so much, my child," she said in a feeble voice.

"It's nothing ma'am, how are you feeling though?" I asked. I was never good at socializing with people. I consider myself as someone very shy and private.

"Better," she said, nodding.

"I called the number mentioned on your name card and informed your assistant about your condition. After some time your assistant informed me that Mr. Robustelli is on his way here."

She looked so tired and worn out.

"I will get the doctor," I said after a while and left. Once the doctor was there, I stood at the corner of the room.

"How are you feeling Mrs. Robustelli?"

"Better,"

"How long have you been experiencing body aches and fatigue?" the doctor asked.

"For around a year now,"

"Did you consult a doctor regarding the same?"

She shook her head in no.

"Alright, we will get the test results in an hour. Let's see if it is what I think it is." Dr. Anna said before leaving.

"Come here my child," she gestured to me as I sat on the seat.

"Have you informed your parents that you are here?" she asked.

My heart sank and my whole body tensed. I didn't know how to answer her. I kept my gaze on my hands, which were resting on my lap.