Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Julian’s POV:

“Since you intend to have two or three children, we should begin the baby-making process,” I voiced.

All the colour drained from her face the moment she heard me. I wish I could capture this moment. I was having a hard time maintaining a neutral expression. 

To say she was nervous would be an understatement, she was horrified. 

“So, what do you think?” I added.

“I wa..want to go… back…” she stuttered.

 That was it.

 I cracked up, hard, to the point where my abdomen had started to hurt. She looked at me with an utterly confused look.

“Oh my God! Sweetheart. You are going to be the death of me,” I managed to say. Sweet Lord, her expressions were out of the world. 

Do you know how adorable you looked just a moment ago?” I spoke cupping her face. 

"You are so adorable," I said, kissing the side of her head. 

She swiftly took a step back and hurriedly climbed down the stairs. Heaving a deep sigh, I followed her. 

Bernadette was sitting at the far end of the dinner table. Far away from where I usually sit. I stood up and walked over to her. 

“Mind if I sit beside you?” She shook her head in no. 

“So, what is your favourite colour?” I attempted to start a chat.

Viridian and Turquoise,” she mumbled. 

“Yours?” She asked back. I smiled. I realized that I have been smiling better and grinning a lot since I met her. 

Black, Blue and… White since this morning,” I said and glanced down at her dress. 

All the while I was watching her intently. It didn't take long for her cheeks and ears to turn a rosy shade of red. 

And that beautiful shade of red that is adorning your face right now,” I leaned in and whispered close to her ear. Her gaze was fixed on her lap. She was smiling. 

Do you know how bad I want to bite your apple-like cheeks?” I spoke, tracing the contour of her cheek with the tip of my finger. She visibly shuddered under my touch. I loved the effect I had on her. I leaned in closer. 

“Tell me, it's just not me who is feeling like a giddy teenager. Would you tell me if I make you feel things, Mrs Robustelli?” I asked in a low voice, kissing her cheek.

 I wanted to do that for a while now, in fact, a lot more than a kiss on the cheek. But we had to take baby steps. Our faces were just inches apart. 

In a flash, she stood up and turned around to leave. However, I knew better than to let her go. We needed to talk like two adults. Grabbing her by her arm I swiftly turned her around to face me. I slowly snaked my arm around her slender waist and joined our foreheads. Her eyes were tightly shut.

I want to give this marriage a real shot, Bernadette. Forget that we are bound by a contract. You have been on my mind all evening, all night. I could not stop thinking about you. I will try to be the best husband but I would like to be your friend first. Don't take me wrong, I am not rebounding on you. Believe me, what I feel for you is real. I think we will make one hell of a couple. Tell me, will you give us a shot?” I asked as sincerely as I could.