𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 4

𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 4

After 4 years

Bernadette's POV:

Today was my graduation ceremony. Maria and David flew to Ohio just to attend my graduation event.

It was heartening to have people who cared for me. Nick was also here with his husband, Eric. Yes, my best friend got married last year. They met two years ago at the cafe where we used to work. After marrying Eric, he had to move to Brazil. Eric is an interior designer based in Rio de Janeiro.

It was tough for me and Nick to move apart, after all, we have known each other for seven years now. Though we spoke to each other day-to-day, I still miss his funny jokes, expressions, and...hugs. Nevertheless, I was overjoyed and content that he had finally found the 'one' for him. He deserves all the happiness of the world.

As for me, I was extremely occupied and engaged with my pre-med courses. I still worked at Amelia's bakery. Life was better.

"Come, let's get a few pictures clicked," Maria said, cheerfully as she hauled us to a less crowded place.

The campus was overloaded with new graduates and their families. I have to say, this graduation ceremony was far better and more memorable than the high school one.

I was standing between Maria and David. Eric was standing on the right of David, while Nick was on Maria's left. Every one of us smiled as the photographer captured our wholesome minute.

Next Maria steadily pressed a kiss on my temple as the rest of us stood for a picture. I felt a surge of emotions flowing through me. My eyes watered instantly. This was all I had ever wished for. Happy memories and people who would genuinely be happy for my upswing.

"Let's head for lunch," David said.

"Yeah, I am starving," chirped Nick.

Maria had booked us a table at one of the high-end restaurants in Ohio. Fortunately, I did not feel underdressed or out of the place. All thanks to Maria. Yesterday, I was stunned to find Maria and David at the doorstep of my little apartment.

In the past four years, they would always visit me on my birthday. Every year, Maria would bake my favorite Chocolate Espresso Layer Cake. I was extremely thankful to God for sending these angels into my life.

Yesterday, after shopping for almost four hours, I couldn't feel my feet. Fortunately, we were able to find a beautiful peach coloured midi dress.

"Bernie, we have to leave. Something came up at Eric's workplace," said Nick, just as we were about to sit.

"Do you have to? At least have lunch," I said. Our goodbyes were always painful and heart-wrenching.

"I will try to fly back in a fortnight. Then we will celebrate your graduation, yeah?"

"Yeah, safe fight. Call me when you land.", I said, pulling away from the hug.

"Of course, take care, Bernie. Don't stress yourself," he said, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"What do you plan to do next, sweetheart?", David asked me. We were now having our lunch.

"Umm, I want to take a year off. That way, I would be able to prepare for the MCAT. I couldn't exactly prepare for the MCAT with a packed schedule of classes.", I said to which Maria and David shared a look.

"Are you seeing anyone, love?". Maria asked, reaching out for my hand. I shook my head.

"No, I am not," I mumbled, looking down.

"Would you do us a favor, love? I know this is too much to ask, you have already done so much for us. But this is the only way we could think of.", Maria said.

"Please, let me know if I can do something for you," I said, squeezing her hand a little.

Maria and David once again exchanged glances. David heaved a deep breath as if preparing for whatever he had to say.

I was profoundly obliged to them for their enduring support and affection. If not for them, I would have never been able to pursue a college degree of my choice. Pre-med courses are expensive. Not something I could cover with my two part-time jobs.

"As you know, we have a son. His name is Julian. He is 28 and will be 29 this year. He has been seeing this girl named Nicolina. They have been going on and off since the time they started dating each other. My son proposed to her 3 months ago. They were supposed to get married in a week. But, as of last week, Nicolina is nowhere to be found. She ditched my son over a text. I hired a private investor to find her. Turns out, she is living with my nephew Dylan Parker. He is my cousin Ian Parker's son. Ian is one of the board members of our company. We are not on good terms with each other. Our relationship turned sour over whose children would take over the family company. Nicolina has recently stolen some of the most confidential financial affidavits of our company. This established a very poor image of Julian in the eyes of all the board members. He was to be announced as the CEO next month. That was after the wedding. But now, everything is a mess. If he doesn't get married next week, it's going to bring down our family name. Julian will lose any chance he had to take over the company. The news of this wedding is all over the tabloids. We don't want the company to slip out of the Robustellis'. Dylan along with the children of other board members are already fighting for the position. If he doesn't get married now, he will forever lose the position. You are perfect for our son. He needs someone responsible like you by his side. We never really liked Nicolina.

Will you marry Julian for a year, sweetheart? Please help us, love." David described.

Honestly, I felt bad for their son. I understand the feeling of being abandoned. No one deserves to be cheated.

David and Maria were looking at me with hopeful eyes.

"You don't have to answer now, love. Think about it. Even if you don't agree, nothing changes between us, okay.", Maria said, gently clutching my hand. I could only nod at that moment.

"Is your son aware of this arrangement?", I asked after a moment of silence.

"Yes, he is aware, it's a yes from his side," David said to which I nodded. By the time we exited the restaurant, it was already evening.

"Please, think about it, sweetheart," Maria said before I could step out of their car.

I nodded and said, "Thank you for today."

"It's nothing, love. Take care, we will pick you up at 9 tomorrow, Okay" she said.

"Okay."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••