𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 5

𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 5

Bernadette's POV

Last night, I couldn't sleep a wink. I kept turning and tossing.

Coming to think of it, I had nothing to lose. I was a girl with almost no one in this world. Apart from Mama Jones and Nick, they were the only ones who showed me love and affection. Two years back, I met with a minor accident. Maria flew all over to Ohio, just to see if I was doing okay.

If a year of my life helps the people who have been nothing but kind to me, then I think it's worth a shot. Having considered it, I had already made up my mind. I wanted to help them. I knew from the moment they asked for help, I would agree.

I owed them my college degree. And all the unconditional love, they have showered over me in the past four years

"You look lovely, sweetheart," Maria said, kissing my cheeks.

"Thank you, you look gorgeous yourself," I replied.

After breakfast, it was finally the time to address the elephant waiting in the room.

"Have you given it a thought sweetheart?"David started to which I nodded.

"I am ready," I said, fidgeting my fingers.

"You owe us nothing, love. And I just hope you are not doing this because you think you owe us something, right?", Maria said as she ran a hand through my hair.

"No," I lied and quickly shook my head. I knew I owed a lot to them. Many people willingly donate blood, organs, stem cells but no one covers a whole four years of pre-med fees. Nor do they shower you with love and care.

"Are you sure?", they asked.

"Yes,"

"Thank you so much for this, love." Maria quickly grabbed me in a tight hug.

"Your selflessness never fails to amaze us.", I heard David say.

*

*

We left for California by dusk. I was carrying only a few sets of clothes, my books, laptop, passport, and my debit card. It was my first time on a jet, not to mention a private jet. I have never been out of Ohio. I was astounded by the interior of the jet.

All the while, Maria asked me if I was feeling okay. Honestly, I felt a little nauseous for the first few hours. Then it was fine. As Ohio is three hours ahead of California; it was still midnight by the time we landed.

Robustelli Mansion has to be the most beautiful Mansion I have ever come across. They lived in one of the moneyed neighbourhoods in California. The three-story mansion was a small world unto itself. The mansion stood there as if the surrounding had embraced it. It was a fine blend of Modern and Jacobean style.

Maria introduced me to Lily, the head of the house staff. After taking a look around the first floor; Maria directed me to my room. My room was on the first floor. Maria and David lived on the same floor as me. My whole room itself was far more spacious than my apartment back in Ohio.

Not to mention the walk-in closet, study place, and attached bathroom.

"Catch some sleep, love. I want to pamper my daughter tomorrow. You will meet him tomorrow.", Maria said before leaving the room.

I was nervous about meeting him. What would he think of me? Would he also think I am ugly like the girls did back in high school? With all these thoughts running inside my head; I finally managed to drift into my dreamland. I just hoped to not get nightmares today.

The next day, Maria hopped from one shop to another, with me rushing behind her.

"This will look great on you, love," she said, holding a dress in front of me. The price tag had me gasping for air.

3000 bucks for a dress that barely reached my knees.

"This is too pricey," I let out, still shocked.

"Don't look at that stupid tag, love. Now go and try this on. Let me see how my princess looks," she said and pushed me into the trial room.

The material of the dress was satiny. I liked the touch of it. The dress had a portrait neckline with a few silver beads embedded. It was simply beautiful.

"You look gorgeous, honey. We are buying this," Maria let out. I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks when she asked me to twirl.

"Would you like to wear this for the engagement celebration, Or would you like to see some more?"

I promptly shook my head. Honestly, if I walked anymore, my legs would certainly give out.

"I think this looks great," I said.

"Oh no, this looks great because the one who is wearing it is stunning," she said waving her hand. Nobody In the past ever complimented me so many times. This was all new to me.

By the time we were back, it was already noon. David couldn't join us for lunch, he was occupied with some stuff at the office.

After lunch, Lily helped me arrange the clothes and shoes in the closet.

"We will go select your wedding gown tomorrow." I heard Maria say. I just hope I don't get cold feet anytime soon.

"When is the wedding?", I asked.

"After four days. Are you sure about this, sweetie?"

I took a deep breath to settle my raging nerves.

"Yes,"

"It's going to be okay. We are here for you. After the wedding, you will live with us here. We will shift your stuff to the third floor. Julian's room is also on the third floor. He moved out at the age of 20. He has his penthouse. But for this year, he will reside here," Maria said. I was extremely relieved and happy that I would stay with them.

"Will there be a lot of people?", I asked.

"No, no, just our relatives and the families of the board members," she said, much to my relief.

From my side, only Nick was going to be there. I couldn't believe it, I was getting married in less than five days. Maybe just for a year but still.

We talked a little more before finally getting ready for the evening.

David and Maria were sitting across from me. We were waiting for Julian.

The doorbell rang and I was ready to run back to my room. I took deep breaths to calm myself. Footsteps echoed throughout the dining hall. I could already feel a scrutinizing gaze on me. Instinctively, I pushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Good evening mom, dad," came a deep voice.

Finally, I managed to look up. I was met with a pair of dark brown eyes. He was at least 6 feet tall, maybe taller, lean build, jet black hair, strong shapely jaw, and Romanesque nose. He looked more like Maria.

"Hey," he said and directed a smile my way.

"Hi," I mumbled and promptly looked down. This was more difficult than I thought it would be. I could feel the sudden rapid pulsation of my heart.