Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Bernadette's POV

After the wedding, we moved to the church's multipurpose hall for the after-wedding party. I was still in my wedding dress. I met a few of Julian's college friends. I found all of them very welcoming. 

A man who must be the same age as Julian approached us and grabbed Julian in a very brotherly embrace. 

“Love, meet my best friend Benjamin Smith. We have been best friends since middle school,” Julian introduced me to his best friend. 

“Ben, meet my lovely wife Bernadette Robustelli.” I smiled at Mr Smith.

“Nice to meet you, Mrs Robustelli,” he stuck his hand out. 

“Likewise, Mr Smith. And thank you for coming,” I said and gently shook his hand.

“I must say, my friend wasn't exaggerating when he told me how beautiful his wife was,” Mr Smith added. 

“Thank you,” I mumbled. I couldn't help but smile. My gaze connected with Julian's. His eyes were the mirror of contentment and warmth.  

I met Julian's cousins and relatives. They all were nice to me or at least pretended to be nice. 

“May I have this dance, beautiful?” Julian said, extending his hand for me to take. It was time for the bride and groom's first dance. 

“I don't know how to dance,” I whispered while looking around. Everyone's gaze was fixed on us. 

“It's okay, just follow my lead, love,” he said and guided me onto the dance floor. Perfect by Ed Sheeran played into the background. 

I found a love for me
Oh, darling, just dive right in and follow my lead
Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet
Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me

Julian was holding me close as we swayed with the music. I relaxed into his embrace. I felt peace and warmth adopting me. I felt Julian pressing a sweet kiss on my forehead. 

 Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
Listening to our favourite song
When you said you looked a mess
I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it
Darling, you look perfect tonight

He leaned in even closer. “Do you still not want to go on a honeymoon, love? You know, I could always make the arrangements. You just have to tell,” he said, his breath fanned the side of my face. 

“No, it would be better if you stayed around. David (Julian's father) said the board is going to announce the new CEO soon,” I replied.

“You don't fail to amuse me, Bernadette,” he said with an amused smile.

After our first dance, I danced with David. “Welcome to the family, Sweetheart. You look breathtaking, my child,” he said. 

“Thank you, David. You look handsome yourself,” I said to which he smiled. 

“I would like it better if you called me Dad, sweetheart,” he said. My eyes welled up with tears. I was too choked up with emotions to come up with an answer. Growing up, I had no one to call dad. Now, I even had someone to call dad. 

“Okay…Dad,” I smiled. I was going to remember this day all my life.  

After dancing with dad, it was Nick's turn. He was flying back to Brazil tomorrow. He looked troubled and puzzled.

“Are you okay? What's wrong?” I forced myself to ask.

“I am worried about you, Bernie. I haven't been able to sleep since you told me about the whole arrangement. You hardly know these people!” He said almost wearily. 

“I have known David and Maria for four years now, Nick. They sponsored my education. I owe them a big time. It may be I don't know Julian but I know David and Maria. I am doing this for them. I am going to be fine. I have absolutely nothing to lose,” I gave him a reassuring smile. 

“Just so you know, I have your back. You are very precious to me, Bernie. There's nothing I wouldn't do for you,” he said and squeezed me in a tight hug, before placing a kiss on my forehead. 

After greeting a few more guests and having dinner, we finally decided to head back home. The ride back home was spent with us staring out of the window. The kiss back at church flashed in front of my eyes. I touched my lips. My first kiss. 

I could feel Julian's eyes on me. He was holding my hand all the while, occasionally rubbing his thumb on the back of my palm. And that was enough to set off the butterflies in my stomach.

“Thinking about the kiss, hmm? Wait till we reach home.” Julian whispered as he leaned in and quickly kissed the contour of my neck. My breath thumbed. I clenched the expensive fabric of my wedding dress. 

The Robustelli Mansion was well lit. Julian wrapped his arms around me and with gentleness, he lifted me up in his arms. Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around his neck. 

“What are you doing?” I asked. 

“Honouring one of the few traditions I know, carrying my bride over the threshold,” he said as a grin took over his lips. The side of my face was firmly planted against his chest. The steady pounding of his heart was like music to my ears. 

“Mom, dad, see you in the morning,” Julian said as he climbed up to the third floor. They were sitting in the living room. I caught Maria and David giving each other a knowing smile. Heat rushed to my face. What must have they thought? I hid my face more into Julian's chest.