Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Bernadette's POV

He lowered me against the plush surface of the bed. His forehead was firmly pressed against mine. 

“Bernadette, are you ready to give this marriage a real shot?” he asked in a low whisper. His lips brushed against mine as he spoke. 

Was I ready to give this marriage a real shot? I thought. As if sensing my conflict he leaned back and carefully examined my face. 

“I really want to give this marriage a chance. I may come out as a fool to say that I fell for you the moment I saw you but this is what it is. I know it is too early to say all these things but my feelings for you are genuine,” he said seriously.  And I had no reason not to believe him. I took a leap of faith and with that, I decided to trust my inner voice. 

“Yes, I am ready,” I whispered. The smile that took over his lips surely would-be worth millions. His hand wandered up to cup the side of my face. 

“You are an angel, Bernadette. My angel,” he said just before his lips took mine in a kiss more seering than the one at our wedding. It sent a tingling sensation down my spine. I returned the kiss, wrapping my hands around his neck, and pulling him closer. We both were breathing heavily once we broke the kiss. He rolled onto his back. His gaze held me captive. 

“Wait, I have something for you,” he said and climbed out of the bed. He disappeared to what I assume was the closet. By the time he returned, I was already sitting at the edge of the bed.

He was holding a velvet case. “Here, it's your wedding gift.” He said, handing me the case. I opened the case to find an absolutely stunning Emerald necklace.

“It's gorgeous,” I whispered. I had never seen something like this in my whole life. 

“Oh! Believe me, the one who will be wearing it is more gorgeous,” he said and winked at me. I felt heat rising to my face. 

“ Thank you, but I cannot take it. It's too expensive,” I said as I tried to give it back to him.

“Please, it would hurt if you didn't accept this,” 

I nodded, “Thank you.” 

Julian was in the shower, while I sat in front of the dresser. I was having a hard time taking the pins off my hair.

“Need some help with that?” I heard a deep voice ask. I looked in the mirror to see Julian standing with a towel wrapped low around his hips. Heat rushed to my face when I realised Julian gad caught me staring. I embarrassingly looked down. He chuckled as he helped me with the pins and other accessories. 

“Is Lily around?” I asked.

“Need assistance with the dress?” He asked me back. 

“Yes.”

“Let me do it,” He said as he brushed aside my hair and found my bustles. Instinctively, my hand went up to hold the dress to my chest. 

“Do you know? It's taking all of me not to jump on your bones,” He whispers as he undid the last bustle and snaked his arms around my waist from behind. 

“Who do you see in the mirror?” He asked me, tracing the length of my neck with his nose tip. That mere action was enough for my skin to break into goosebumps. I felt hot all over. 

“Me and you,” I answered, breathlessly to which he chuckled. I frowned. 

“Do you know what I see?” he spoke, his gaze fixed on me through the mirror. I shook my head.

“I see a gorgeous woman, who is beautiful inside and out, selfless, independent and strong. And I am proud to have her in my life as my wife, my life partner,” he said as a smile appeared on his face. His eyes never left mine. I was overwhelmed with emotions. My eyes welled up with tears. That was it. I turned around and hugged him tightly. He cradled me in his arms. None of us spoke. 

“I will freshen up,” I said after a while. I looked around my closet for my suitcase but couldn't find it. I needed my clothes. 

“Looking for your clothes?” Julian asked me and at that moment I realised he was still in the closet, standing super close to me.

“Yes,”

“Here, these are all yours,” he said, waving a hand around the closet.

“No, they aren't mine.” I frowned. He chuckled. 

“Yes, they are yours, mum had our family stylist stock your closet. Let me know if anything is not to your liking,” he said. 

“No, I can't take all this, please,” I said. These all were expensive clothes with the price tags still intact to them.

“We are not discussing this, love. These are all yours. Go freshen up,” he said, walking out of the closet. I sighed.

I chose a white cotton t-shirt and shorts before entering the washroom. Julian was working on his laptop when I walked into the room. His eyes fell on me. He eyed from top to bottom. 

I settled with my Bible on the other side of the bed. “Can you read out the verses from me too?” he asked.

“Sure,” I smiled. 

With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” I read out the EPHESIAN 4: 2-3

“Would you like to know the message behind the verse?” I asked him. 

“Yes, please,” he nodded.

“Well, the message is that when life challenges us, we must reach inside ourselves and call upon our greatest virtues to create a balance of love and harmony,” I said, he was listening intently all the while.

I read a few more verses and expounded the message behind them. Julian was deeply absorbed into the whole thing. 

“Good night,” I said before turning off the night lamp. Sharing the bed with Julian was something I had not expected. That part never struck me. In my life of 22 years, I had never once shared my bed with anyone. To say I was nervous would be an understatement. Then again, we had agreed to give this marriage a chance. I could not step back when he was trying his best to grow our relationship.

It needed efforts from both sides to make a relationship work.

“Good night, wifey,” he moved closer to me. His great graze on my back. He smelled so good. Julian curled his arm around my torso. His hand rested just inches below my breasts. He pulled me more to his chest. I sighed and relaxed in his arms.

......................................................

Vote, comment and share