Chapter 10

Chapter-10

Bernadette's POV

Later that night, I received a text from an unknown number. It said 'Hi.'

I didn't text back. After an hour or so I received a call from the same number.

“So, you are gonna just leave me at seen, Mrs Robustelli?” came a deep voice from the other end. I knew this voice very well. It was Julian.

“Hi,” I said, softly. 

“Were you already asleep? Did I wake you up?” he asked.

“No, I was just going through some of my notes,” I answered. None of us spoke for a while. 

“Did you finalize the wedding dress,” he asked. 

“Yes,” I had selected a pure white, square neck cathedral wedding dress. It had three-quarter sleeves with lace beadings on it. And the price was perfect too. For heaven's sake, it cost almost two hundred Grands. The wedding dress was the handiwork of the owner of the fashion house herself. The level of intricacy was surely reflective of its price. 

“I can't wait to see you in your wedding dress, love.  You will make one hell of a bride,” he sounded much more excited than I was.

“Wait, are you there, Arpina?” He was the first one to address me by my middle name. 

“Yes. Isn't it too soon to call me love?” I asked. 

“No, I know you are the one for me,” he replied, immediately.

“Meet me outside your room. I am not supposed to see you tomorrow the whole day, until the wedding,” He added. I could hear him padding downstairs.

“I don't think it's a good idea,”

“Believe me, I would not be able to go to sleep If I didn't see you now,” Next I heard a few knocks on my door. 

“Come on, it's me,” He said. I opened the door and came face to face with Julian. He had a broad grin plastered on his face. His hair was still damp, indicating he had just taken a shower.  

“Did you need something?” I asked.

“You… Umm, I mean would you like to go for a walk?” he asked, rubbing the back of his neck. 

“Umm… sure,” I said, closing the door behind me. The cool night breeze fanned my face the moment we stepped out of the house. He linked our hands together so that our palms were glued together and interlocked our fingers. My heart began to race as soon as he did that, I almost forgot to breathe. 

“You know as long as we hold hands like this, we are inseparable,” he punctuated his point by rubbing his thumb in a circle on the back of my hand. I smiled and shyly looked away. How could Nicolina betray this man? 

“I don't fit in your world, Mr Robustelli. I am just here to help you get what you truly deserve. Maria and David told me that you have worked really hard for the position of CEO. It would be only fair if you get the position. And as for me, I don't fit in this high-class world. I am afraid I would embarrass you. I am just an orphan girl with no background. I don't know how family works. The word family is foreign to me. You would be looked down on if I stayed by your side. It would be only better if I leave after a year. You deserve someone better, far better than me,” I said, staring at the starless sky. The sky was dark, just like my childhood and life. 

There were times when I just wanted to give up. But something in me just kept me going.

“You don't have to fit in my so-called high-class world. This world is mostly filled with people like Nicolina and Dylan. People here are superficial and cunning. They are backstabbers. And if we are talking about who deserves who, then I definitely would be the lucky spalpeen here. You are precious, you are tea. Any man would kill to have you in his life. At least I would," he said, the last part with a grin plastered on his face. His eyes stared into mine as if he could read through my soul.  

“Remember you do not have to fit anyone's world. You have your own world and identity and it's the best. And we need to work on your self-esteem. You underestimate yourself too much. I don't want that. I want my wife to be a confident woman and for that, you need to know your worth,” he leaned in, tracing his nose along the contour of my neck. Soon his arms were tightly wrapped around me. 

“Hug me, love,” he whispered. I could feel butterflies in my stomach fluttering their wings for the first time. These feelings were new to me. This made me excited but scared at the same time. With trembling hands, I wrapped my arms around his frame. This was one of the few peaceful moments of my life. We stayed in each other's embrace for what felt like forever. 

“Would it be okay if I kiss you on our wedding day?” I heard him ask.

I don't know, I've never been kissed,” I said, looking everywhere but him. I looked up to see his mouth hung open. He looked funny. Slowly a smirk appeared on his face.

“Can I have the honour to be your first kiss, Mrs Robustelli?” He leaned in.  I didn't answer. My heart rate picked up. What was happening to me?

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. Unhurriedly, I opened my eyes to see a pair of green eyes intently staring at me.

“Yes,” I said.

A contagious smile broke on his face. In no time he hoisted me up and twirled me around. A reflexive yelp followed by a laugh escaped my mouth. I never felt so carefree in my twenty-two years of life.

“You have made me the happiest man, love,” He pecked my forehead, cheeks and finally the tip of my nose.  He still had his arms wrapped around me. My face was pressed against his heart. I could hear his heartbeat. The time seemed to have come to a standstill as the night birds sang the night away.