Sixteen

A couple of weeks later the day came, the day of my first final with this club. My first chance at silverware with this club.

Today, unfortunately i'm not starting because of an injury i picked up in training last week. It was a rush to see if i would be fit enough for this game, we done everything to make sure i was and thankfully i am fit enough to make the bench.

Barca starting X1
S. Paños
M. Torrejón
I. Paredes
J. Fernández
F. Rolfö
P. Guijarro
A. Putellas
I. S. Engen
C. Graham Hansen
Jenni
L. Martens

Bench
Gemma Font
Asisat Oshoala
Andrea Pereria
Leila Ouahabi
Cata Coll
Clàudia Pina
Melanie Serrano
María Pilar León
Emily

******
The warmups went well and so did the team talk before the game. The whole squad is ready for this today, not just the players but the staff are too. We can do this.

On the bench i sat beside Mapi and lay my head on her shoulder.

"You could win your first trophy with us today"
She said smiling at me.

"Yeah and this could be the first of many"

"It will be the first of many, trust me"

"I hope so"

After sixteen minutes we were ahead after Ingrid scored. As the ball hit the back of the net the players on the pitch ran towards her and all of us on the bench jumped up and celebrated with each other. I was jumping with my arm around Mapi.

By the twenty-seventh minute on the outside it looked all but over, 3-0 to us after Caro done what she does best and scored two pretty good goals. Frido got the assist on one and the other was a touch of brilliance, a fantastic free kick.

"Damn"
I said under my breath as the girls were going back to their half after Caro's free kick went in.

"Can you take free kicks?"
Mapi asked me.

"Probably not"
I chuckled.

"I'd put my money on you to score"

"Why?"
I questioned.

"Because you have the quality. Emi, you're one of the most composed finishers i've ever seen, i wouldn't put it past you to be able to score a free kick"

"I've never took one before"

"Never?"
Mapi questioned.

"No"

"Let's change that"

"How?"

"One day, when we win a free kick you will take it"

"Whatever you say. You know i've seen your free kicks all over social media and for a defender you're pretty good"

"You think?"

"Yeah, i think you would be okay as a midfielder but that can't happen because we need you at the back"
Mapi ruffled my hair.

"What about penalties, have you took one before?"

"Yeah, i took a few in penalty shootouts for Chelsea"

"Ever miss?"

"Perfect record. I'm two for two i think"
Mapi put her arm around me as i said this.

"Love birds, this is televised and there are fans in the stadium who can see you"
Leila said from behind making everyone on the benches attention turn to me and Mapi.