Chapter Thirteen - Gryphons Obey My Every Command

It suddenly struck me like the lightning bolt that killed the blue porta potty. "The helmets!" I shouted at the other, instantly removing my hand from the poor gryphon's thoughts, "Find a way to get rid of the helmets!" The others, although extremely confused, immediately went to work. Jason, who was currently in a hand to claw combat, ducked under the gryphon's body, and flew straight behind him. The gryphon, spinning around quickly, received a swift Converse shoe kick to the beak. It tumbled to the ground, and Frank swiftly caught him in his hands-er-claws. Jason quickly landed next to it, and tried to remove it by hand.

"Agh!" He clasped his head in agony, "That hurt. Okay, figure out another way!"

I was trying to pry off the helmet with the head of my arrows, but without avail. The gryphon dived down, still trying to rid me off of its back. Even in desperation, I attempted to nudge it off with my bow. But the gryphon, who was crying out in agony, kept shaking its head, not giving me a firm position. Piper and Hazel were also struggling; they were attempting to have the gryphon land on Frank's back (he didn't look very pleased with all the extra weight). Piper seemed to talk to the creature, or chanting a spell, and the gryphon had a dazed look on its face.

"No, concentrate!" I yelled at myself, and attempted one more time to shove off the armor. But in a swift movement, the gryphon randomly leapt in the air, spun right under me, and gave me a ninja kick to the chest. Now I have learned: clouds don't cushion you while you fall like in cartoons. I spiraled off, worrying on how my body would look like scrambled eggs went I hit the ground. The Canadian geese cackled and cawed with delight, their beady red eyes glowing as they were ready to feast on their next victim.

Hey, I have yet to read anything on whether or not they're man-eaters; we'll never know if they have an evil side.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, and I was lifted back up. A flash of blonde hair flew past my eyes. "Can't have you dying on me," Jason said with a wink.

I smirked back, "Did you finish your job, Superman?"

He jutted his thumb over to Frank, who was attempting to hold it down with his other claw, but it looked like he was trying to smash a pie. "No, not yet, the pain hurts when you touch it with your bare hands," Jason groaned, gesturing to his aching head.

"Yeah, I know," I frowned.

"Well, here's your stop," He let go of me, and I dropped.

Tumbling down, I smashed onto the gryphon's back once more. Ignoring the pain, I thought, Think Astra, how do you save three lunatic gryphons from mind controlling weapons of destruction? My head hurt from thinking too much, and I kept glancing back and forth at my weapons. "Okay, if two arrows can't lift a heavy helmet, and your bow is too clunky, why not actually use the weapon for what its meant to do?" I huffed at myself, grinning yet slightly upset at my stupidity. The gryphon started to rock back and forth, and I was really getting annoyed.

I nocked an arrow, pulled back as far as I possibly could, locked onto my target, and let go. The arrow zoomed through the air, and knocked off the helmet with a quick slice. Then it soared off into the distance alongside its newly formed relationship with the piece of armor, never to be seen again until it appears back into my quiver. The gryphon froze in complete shock, temporarily forgetting how to fly. So naturally, we both plummeted through the Earth's hemisphere and would eventually become pancakes with a side of bacon.

This exemplifies how hungry I was for breakfast.

"Fly, fly, fly!" I shrieked in fear, gently slapping at its neck to urge it forward. With a mighty flap of its giant wingspan, the gryphon levitated in the air, with me half way off of its back. "I am never riding an insane chicken-lion again," I muttered, sitting myself upwards and gently patting at it eagle's head, "There, you're alright now, I think. I hope."

It turned its head to me, and back at Frank, who was attempting to handle two gryphons at once with the help of the other three. I sighed, realizing what this creature was asking me to do. Pulling another arrow back, I leaned my bow onto its next bullseye.

* * *

We all decided to land for a rest stop. Unfortunately, we accidentally parked a dragon and three gryphons on the roof of a gas station, causing a few workers to run away in panic. Oops. "We're now off track," Jason sighed, running his fingers through his hair, "And we can't cause Frank to fly us anymore, he must be exhausted."

Frank's dragon body immediately started to deflate like a balloon, until it shrunk back to his usual, muscular frame. "Sorry," He sighed, with beads of sweat dotting his face, "But holding two gryphons at once is a lot of work."

I was too busy scratching behind the gryphons' ears to be paying attention. "So," I hoped to strike a conversation with the bird-lions (lion-birds?), "Was Kronos doing these bad things to you?"

"Not just us," A deep voice replied, and I sort of bumped into Piper in shock, "Plenty of others are doing this against their will. We must thank you for helping us."

"Was it just me, or did you hear a voice like Bob Marley?" I asked them.

"Are you hearing things?" Piper looked at the creatures, "Maybe you're able to understand them."

"An animal whisperer," My eyes began to sparkle, "I could earn a year's worth of instant ramen for this."

The three gryphons cocked their heads at a ninety degree angle in synch, "Since you have helped us, we would like to repay you." It sounded like three bad reggae singers attempting to harmony, and I couldn't help but to stifle a laugh.

"T-They want to help us," I covered my mouth with my hands, "For saving them."

"Perhaps they can help us on the inside," Jason stroked his chin like an old man, "Leak us some of Kronos' plans."

"We can't risk their lives once more," I argued.

"As long as we can repay you, this task will be accomplished," They said.

I stared at them, "Then on the way back, I would like an order of instant ramen, a medium pack of fries, and an orange Fanta drink."

"You're absolutely mad," Hazel laughed, "In a good way, of course."

"We don't know what that is, but we can always bring you a fried snake," One complied.

I shook its talon, "Deal. And thanks, for doing this for us."

"Oh, no. Thank you for saving us." And with that, the three took off from the roof, and back up into the sky. The sun continued to rise up. The gentle breeze felt nice against my sticky skin, and I was aching for a shower. It was probably only around nine to ten in the morning, and all five of us were starving for some grub. But with our luck, all we could see were the flashing blue and red lights from police cars.

"We better get going," Frank leapt off, "We don't want to cause trouble."

"Oh, we've done more than plenty," Hazel jumped after him, and he caught her in his arms. Cute. Forever alone. With only my inappropriate and complicated thoughts for company. I hissed and turned away, not wanting to watch them flirt.

"You too, Astra," Piper smiled as she tugged on my shirt, watching my expressions as if I was the latest hit drama, "Hopefully we can find a place to eat." Her choppy hair fluttered, and her eyes kept shifting in color, which reminded me of all those selections of ice cream at Baskin Robbins.

"You just read my mind," I replied, rubbing my grumbling stomach.

And with that, let the Hunger Games begin.

---------------------------------

... Another filler chapter (an excuse for it being so short)

... I'm sorry for the very late update (not really (jk love you all))