21

"There's coffee, if you want some."

"I'd kill for one." Narinig kong nagsalita si Levine nang palabas ako ng kwarto, nag-uusap sila sa may kusina.

"Personally, I wouldn't recommend that," Hail whisplered, keeping her voice low.

Hindi naman napansin ng dalawa na nakikinig ako sa usapan nila.

"Okay," Levine agreed, her eyes widening as she took the mug. "Sorry. I didn't mean that the way it came out."

"Of course, you didn't."

"I'm also sorry about last night. It seems I took your bed without asking."

"Not a problem. I've slept on the couch before."

Hail's expression remained blank, "Gising na ba si Haven?"

"Yes. Naligo muna siya."

"She did have quite a bit to drink last night."

"You know, I think it's pretty irresponsible of you to let her get that drunk, what with you being her best friend and all. I would have thought you'd have tried to slow her down."

"You obviously don't know what Haven's like when she's trying to pretend that she's happy."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't really need to answer that. Do I?"

"No, you don't." Umiling lang si Hail.

" You know, you're more what I imagined, matagal na akong humahanga sayo, being mysterious artist, lagi ka kinukwento ni Haven." Levine placed her mug on the table.

"Is that so? Let me guess. Haven filled you in on all the gory details, and you thought I'd be some sort of monster?"

"Actually, that couldn't be further from the truth."

"No?"

"No. What I meant was, with what Haven told me about your fear of strangers, I'm surprised you're speaking to me right now. That's all."

"At kagabi, hindi ka man lang natinag kay Steve sa staring contest niyo, di ka nakaramdam ng takot, tama ba ko?"

"I guess."

"So, Haven really did a great job."

*****

Isang linggo na rin ang lumipas. I get busy again at work and managed all the details of the company. Medyo maayos naman ang lagay ng Vivid Tale.

Hail and I were having a cold war. We barely talk, but we had been civil. I guess being in a friendzone has more advantage. Ako lang ba naglagay ng friendzone kay Hail or sa sarili ko?
I received a message from Katrina, inviting me for a coffee. Matagal na rin hindi kami nagkikita. Maybe I could get some fresh air and sip a hot coffee to ease my mind.

I arrived a bit early in our meeting place. Bago pa bumuhos ang malakas na ulan nakapasok na ako sa coffee shop. A very pleasing scent of aroma greeted me. I was impressed of its coziness. It was not flashy like some mediocre coffee shops. May pagka-rustic ang dating na napapalibutan ng paintings sa paligid. Parang maliit na musuem na pwedeng magkape. I chose a table near window, that way I could have a glimpse outside, with a pouring rain and a cup of coffee to fill in, I guess I could settle for a while.

"May I take your order?"

Masiyado akong nalibang manood sa labas ng bintana hindi ko namalayan ang papalapit na waiter.

I looked at him and smiled, his name was Zander. Lahat yata ng waiter dito ay may nametag. "Do you have bestseller?" tanong ko sa kaniya. I had no idea about types of coffee, it's either black or with cream but I'm curious what could be the best flavor.