23

"Hail--"

"Haven, okay lang ako," sabi nito at mabilis napalingon kay Rachel to offer her a weak smile. "I was a bit messy earlier, but Rachel took care of me. Medyo naulanan ako that's why I got sick."

"Pero--" I insisted.

"It's because of me. It's because I know I need to talk to her and it's not always easy. Christ, hindi talaga naging madali, but it's something I have to do. We all know that."

"Nag-aalaa lang ako para sayo"

"I know," Hail said softly. "And I need your help to get through this, but getting mad at my psychiatrist isn't the way to go about it."

"I am not like that." Sagot ko at napasingkit ng mga mata sa kaniya.

"Okay, how about bitching?"

Rachel stood quietly watching us. Her smile was minimal, at least on the outside. She was well aware of my temper having been on the receiving end of it, but she had never seen me go from sixty to zero so fast.

"Well, I think this is my cue to leave," pahayag ni Rachel.

"Will you have time to see me again this week?" tanong ni Hail. "What with today's chat ending so abruptly, I mean."

"I'll check my planner and call you tomorrow." Rachel said, glancing at her watch. "Oh my, look at the time. I'd better go."

"Not before I apologize." I said, touching Rachel's sleeve. "I acted like a brat, and I'm sorry."

"Yes, you did, but you did it for all the right reasons." Rachel said, patting my hand. "Now, how about walking me out?"

"All right." I said, following her out of the room. Nang makarating kami sa pintuan, pinigilan ko si Rachel sa paglalakad. "Rach, I was wondering--"

"Haven, you know I can't tell you anything."

"Alam ko." I said with a sigh. "I'm just worried about her."

"She's fine. We were just going down a road that we hadn't yet visited and it got to her, but she's doing well, Haven. That much I can say."

"Talaga?"

Nginitan ako ni Rachel at nagpaalam na itong umalis. "Yes, now go back in there and take care of your friend," paalam niya.

******

Things going well with Hail. Unti unting naibabalik ang self confidence niya, minsan hindi pa rin naalis pagka-moody nito. Napangiti naman ako habang naiisip ko mga small arguments naming dalawa. She always like to arrange things and I'm a bit messy.

May isang bagay na masyado kong ikinagulat sa kaniya. Umuwi siya na bago ang ayos ng buhok dahil sinama siya ni Katrina sa salon. I have to admit she became more gorgeous. Mas humaba buhok niya na abot balikat at lalo namula ang kutis niya. Now that she was  beginning to go outside. Hindi na work, bahay ang set up.

"Haven?" tawag ni Hail. While my eyes were on the road. Nakatutok ako sa daan hawak ang manibela.

The lights turned red, it was monday. Good thing, hindi masiyado traffic. Lumingon ako sa kaniya, parang may pag-aalala sa kaniyang mukha. I squinted my eyes, I looked closely at her while Hail lowered her head. Hinawakan ni Hail ang bandang ibaba ng kaniyang damit at pinaikot ito. Ngayon ko lang napansin, na bago ang damit niya na bumagay sa slender niyang katawan.

"I've been thinking...if we can go sa malapit na mall...a-and pwede bang s-samahan mo akong manood ng movie?" She said in between pause.

I was delighted and surprised from what she said, then the lights turned green. Iniisip ko pa rin ang sinabi niya. Natutuwa ako dahil nakikita ko na unti-unti nang bumabalik ang confidence niya. Besides, the way she asked me, it was like she seemed asking me for a date. I was internally smiling at that thought. I don't know, but I like the idea.