Iko Iko

*Wade's P.O.V*

My hands clenched the steering wheel tight causing my knuckles to turn white.

I wasn't driving anywhere. I was more driving in circles trying to work off the unexpected anger that had built up inside me.

I pulled over on the side of the road, forcing myself to stop driving.

I was somewhere along ocean shore drive. The only reason I new this was because I could see the ocean clean as day out of my passagers side window.

The orange, yellow, and red sunset began to blend into the water as the night came slowly.

Letting out a sigh I ran my fingers through my hair then let them fall down my face.

Kaya wasn't that bad, I had to admit that. She never was.

But I couldn't do this, I couldn't. Two months, how could my dad ask me to so this.

And how could she act....

I slammed my hand on my steering wheel and looked out at the ocean. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes.

How could she act like everything was still the same, like nothings changed. And how does she do it so well?

Because everytime I'm around her I'm reminded that everything has changed.

Everytime I see her, see her in my house. I want to yell out for my mom shout saying, "hey mom Kaya's here! Were going to the beach!" Or tell Kaya "hey why doesn't my mom just give you a ride?" As if were still younger kids who can't drive and need to tell our parents what we're doing.

But we aren't, and my mom isn't here and kaya's able to continue on with life like our parents are still here.

Be the same Kaya she's always been. As if our parents dying didn't effect her.

Even though I know it did.

I saw it two days ago on the beach, when she talked about our parents bodies. It was a low blow, but I was being a dick like usual.

But what I said still wasn't false. There was no fun in surfing if there wasn't a risk. There was no fun in life if there wasn't a risk.

There was no thrill, nothing that made the numbness disappear.

At least nothing permanent.

Sometimes a small fling would work, sometimes it didn't compare to the way surfing made my heart feel.

Feel, just to make my heart feel in general was an accomplishment.

So how Kaya did it everyday, with the knowledge that we'd lost so much was beyond me.

I opened my eyes and put the car back into drive, heading back towards my house.

Windows down I let the breeze drift through my car.

Somewhere in the distance some beach bar was blaring music. Its muffled sounds creating a beat but the words getting lost along its travel.

Driving further away from the noise, I pulled into my driveway. While turning into the driveway I stopped.

From this angle I got full view of the ocean and the sunset out of my front window. Along with that view was Kaya, straddling her board out past the break.

She was sitting there peaceful looking at the sky waiting for the next set to come in.

It wasn't going to, and she knew that. But sometimes sitting out there alone was enough to bring anyone peace.

With the stress we were both under, it was probably giving her the peace she needed.

She was gorgeous out there in the setting sun light. She was always beautiful anytime of the day, anybody would say that.

With her light blonde hair and blue eyes, her tan skin from lifegaurding, and her fit body. She was the definition of a beach babe. But the thing that really made her a beach babe was her smile. Everyone always said that Kaya had the best smile and they were right.

But the sad part is it wasn't even a genuine smile like it was before our parents died.

I scrunched up my face in a sort of pain filled anger.

There it goes. My thoughts and feelings about Kaya going out the window when I'm reminded about how things have changed.

Letting out a frustrated sigh I finally pulled into my garage and parked my car leaving a good amount of space between the vehicle and my surf stuff.

Exiting the garage I made a bee line for my room, hoping to avoid Kaya for the rest of the night. I just needed to get to my room before she came in from surfing.

Flopping down on my bed just in time to here the door downstairs open and close followed by Kaya's foot steps making their way up the stairs. I relaxed slightly knowing I'd made it to my room before she'd gotten inside.

As she walked past my bedroom door I could see her just barely through the small open crack between my door and the frame.

She was dressed in pajama shorts and a larger T-shirt, with her hair lose and wet from surfing.

"Night." She mumbled just loud enough for me to hear as she walked into her room.

And my stomach dropped. I shut my eyes for a quick second, squeezing them tight.

"Night." I mumbled back, my voice deep and distant.

It was hard to understand some days why we acted the way we did to each other but in the end... at least to me it, had always been quite simple.

Kaya got mad at me because I was a rule breaker and she was a rule enforcer, but the rules I broke constantly triggered memories... the memories.

For Kaya, it made her nervous triggered memories of fear. It made her scared the way I broke certain rules.

While for me, it made me feel something, triggered memories that brought out the way I felt broken inside and covered them with the rush factor.

Kaya couldn't let me break the rules, and I couldn't live without breaking the rules. It was unfortunately the complicated and yet that simple.

But no matter the way we acted it didn't hide the true feelings I had. It didn't hide the fact that Kaya was still my childhood friend and part of my could never forget that. Maybe that made it all the more painful.

Words: 1062