Chapter Five

Moonpaw awoke with a jolt. Her head snapped up, and the movement woke Shadepaw. "Whazzat?" He murmured. Moonpaw looked above her. The sky was speckled with stars. Why had no one woke them up? It looked like the patrols and search party should have been back. Moonpaw sat up, nudging her brother to do the same. Peering around, she saw that Starlingmist was sleeping just below Highledge. She bounded towards her, and pushed her with her nose. "Wake up." Her mentor blinked. "Is the patrol back yet?" Starlingmist asked. Moonpaw looked at her brother. "I thought it was back." She said to her mentor. Starlingmist sat up, and explained that the search patrol was still out. Moonpaw tilted her head in confusion. "How can they still be out? They've been out there long enough to go around the territory twelve times!" She exclaimed. Starlingmist shrugged. "I don't know why they are still out there. Their scent must still be there. I want you and your brother to search for them. As soon as you find something, come straight back." Moonpaw was shocked. She and her brother were going on a warrior mission! Her wondrous thoughts of possibly being a hero were cut as Starlingmist continued. "Go to Stonewhisker and Laurelstar and tell them what I've said." She curled back into a ball. "Come on Shadepaw." Moonpaw beckoned with her tail for her brother to follow her. It didn't take long for the two apprentices to find both cats. They were up in the Highledge, and talking in hushed voices about the search party. As they entered they abruptly stopped talking. "Yes?" Laurelstar asked. Moonpaw explained of their "warrior mission" from Starlingmist. "Alright. Well, you may go. Be careful. I don't want to have to go traipsing around the forest, looking for my clanmates." Moonpaw bounced cheerfully back down with her brother. "Come on Shadepaw! We have to find them!" Moonpaw called. "I'm coming, I'm coming!" Shadepaw called back. They both went out of the thorn tunnel. Moonpaw scented the patrol; it was heading along her father's scent. Citruspelt was heading in the direction of the Windclan border. Sharppaw's scent was mingled there too. They followed the trail, not daring to speak in the dark woods. Citruspelt's scent veered off from Sharppaw's after about two dozen fox-lengths. They followed their father's, because Sharppaw was not the cat they needed to find. The scent was heading in the direction of the Skyclan border now. Shadepaw stopped. "What is it?" Moonpaw asked her littermate. "New scent." He mumbled, and Moonpaw smelled it too. "I don't know what it is. Let's keep going." Moonpaw whispered. Her brother nodded in agreement. They padded onwards, realizing the scent was getting fresher. They walked quieter, not knowing what was ahead. It was a good thing they did. The scent of the five cats that they were looking for had fear in it now. Moonpaw pushed her head through the elderberry bush in front of her, and the sight she saw was horrifying. She gasped as Shadepaw pushed through as well. "Oh no... " They both whispered. In front of them, Swiftclaws and Gladewing were dead, their bodies showing horrible wounds that even the greatest warrior would not survive. Citruspelt was dead as well, the scent of his blood was less fresh than the others. He was killed first, no doubt lured by the unfamiliar scent. Treeclaw was groaning. At least he was still alive. Lilacpaw... Poor Lilacpaw! The rosy she-cat was absolutely shredded. Moonpaw looked away from the terrifying sight. "C-come on." She called her brother, who was still staring at the little she-cat. They crouched beside Treeclaw. He was barely alive. "Treeclaw? Can you stay awake while we go get the others?" He gave no reply. Moonpaw shook her head in sorrow. She pushed Shadepaw with her nose, and ran, as fast as she could, back to camp.
***

The tale was passed around. Stonewhisker, Twistsnout, Marigoldheart, Herontail and Crystalflower all went to help Treeclaw and retrieve the bodies of their fallen clanmates. When they returned, Myrtletail yowled to the sky, "My kit! Oh my precious kit!" And she ran to Lilacpaw, Leafnose not far behind. Lilacpaw looked like she had no belly, and her ribs were showing, white against so much red. Treeclaw was laid in the medicine den, thankfully he was still alive. Gladewing, Citruspelt and Swiftclaws were lain beside Lilacpaw. Laurelstar, upon hearing the news, climbed down Highledge and bowed her head in front of the four bodies. The day slowly brightened, and the beautiful sunrise was lost on all the Thunderclan cats. They didn't bother with patrols. The whole day passed before anyone moved from their spot. Stonewhisker stretched, and placed himself beside Laurelstar. He started to speak. "Our friends were slain by an unknown creature yesterday," He began. "And tonight we honor them. If any of their friends or relatives would like to speak, please do so now." Lilacpaw's parents were too sad to speak, and she had been the only apprentice for many moons. Gladewing had no mate, and her father, Marshheart, was her only parent still living. He said nothing either. Swiftclaws, his mother and father also dead, had a mate. Twinklepelt. She had her nose buried in her mate's fur, her kits choosing to speak instead. "Daddy was the best warrior." Greykit mewed. "He was super-duper brave." Mintkit added. "He tried to save his clanmates." Greenkit squeaked. "And that's what truly matters." Citruspelt had no family other than Moonpaw, Shadepaw, and Crystalflower. Moonpaw was the one who spoke. "He stopped looking and playing with us in our last days of kithood. But he was a good father, while he still loved us. I hope he is happy in the stars." She huddled back down with her brother. Stonewhisker nodded when everyone was finished. "I say these words before Starclan, so they may receive these brave warriors-" Moonpaw felt numb. She interrupted, saying, "Wait!" The medicine cat glanced at her. "I... I think Lilacpaw should receive a warrior name in Starclan. She was almost done with her apprenticeship! I think her name should be Lilacheart, in honor of her bravery in her final battle." Many heads nodded in agreement. He narrowed his eyes. "Fine. Laurelstar?" The cream-colored leader bowed her head. "It was nice of Moonpaw to add that." She began. "I will oblige." She went to stand in front of Lilacpaw's body. "I, Laurelstar, leader of Thunderclan, call upon my ancestors to change this young cat's name. She was very brave in her final moments, and I wish for Starclan to christen her as a warrior. She followed the warrior code all her life, and she was near the end of her apprenticeship when she died. Lilacpaw, in Starclan, your warrior name will be Lilacheart, in honor of your bravery." Laurelstar finished the solemn ceremony, and every cat settled down by their clanmates for a long, hard night of vigil for their fallen comrades.